Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colton sale now on !!

Default Colton sale now on !!

For anyone interested getting some quality gear at great prices, the Colton annual sale is now on while stocks last. Get into it.

Steve

On e bay or would you post link please? I have the Colton 13/15 and it is an awesome reel

www.coltonfly.com

I have that reel - damn good

Have a few of their smaller ones too - same - lovely stuff and at these prices nothing can compare.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by igfafly View Post
    www.coltonfly.com

I have that reel - damn good

Have a few of their smaller ones too - same - lovely stuff and at these prices nothing can compare.

Steve
    You've got that right!

Blog Entries

A was reading up on these reels and it seems they are great boat reels but not really suited for the surf as the drag is not sealed completely and very difficult to clean once sand and salt is in. Any experiance from you guys in that regard?
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Could be. But many of the popular salt reels such as Abel, Shilton etc are not sealed at all. When I spoke to the Colton guy he told me he was working on a fully sealed drag assembly. That was about 6 months ago. Maybe e mail him via the link on his website. Good guy and he will talk to you. These are meneer reels btw. Heavy duty.

Stripersonline have a long thread dealing with Colton reels and also the drag sealing assembly. Bob, the owner of Colton, chats under the name of Foulhook. Herewith his take on the drag sealing of his reels

Never claimed the torrent was sealed. Maybe some customers have made up their own specs, I cant police every site out there. I have posted several times here over the years clearly describing my opinions on sealed vs non sealed drag. Also have had no one experience a real problem with a torrent to date. There are about 8000-9000 reels out there now so I think that speaks for itself. If you want to marinate your reels in the wash all day and spend 3X's as much $$ then maybe a Mako, Naut, Hatch is your better choice. Like I said in that other thread. There is an a$$ for every seat. Most big game anglers like myself fish from a boat so it's a non issue for us. Even my guys in the surf haven't had problems.

Assuming your rant came from my post in that other thread here, Look back and you'll see that I said it bugs me when I see my reel included in conversations with reels like Lamson, SA, etc. Those reels wouldn't survive 30 seconds on a big tuna. I did not include Nautilus. However I would definetly say it belongs in conversations with high end reels that aren't "waterproof" like Tibor, Abel, Hadyden, etc.

Everyone has their opinion. I said in the other thread that I personally wasnt impressed with the lack of smoothness in the Naut drag and the lack of overall power. Would be happy to do a head to head on Tuna over 200lbs.

The right thing to do here would have been to send me back the reel to look at. I have changed a couple small things since the first run in 2008. One was the outgoing clicker (Sound maker). From ball to a pin to avoid sand or other debris to build up behind it that may cause it to feel a little rougher. Also to avoid possible water hammer effect. This is something that can be upgraded on reels from that first run in about 60 seconds

As Neil correctly pointed out many reels out there are not sealed (Tibor included I think)- I have been using Coltons for some time now and never had an issue with them. Their sealed drag version will be out in Jan/Feb - some are already out there being field tested and are shaping up very well.

Don't expect the sealed drag versions to be the same price as the current versions.

The plan is to run the Torrent series and then the Torrent sealed series (name under wraps for now)

I don't think any of us marinade our reels in the salt, nor should we be in such a situation fly fishing - so for me this is not a concern. The occasional splash always happens and my unsealed Coltons have never had an issue....nor have my Tibors for that matter, or my TFO's.

Sealed drag versions will go up to 11wt - anything over that really is only going to be used from a boat anyway.

Steve

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info gents.

I do agree that most other brands do not have fully sealed drags and this is not a problem if the reel can easily be stripped and cleaned should sand get it. Steve like you said we do not intentionally marinade our gear in the salt, but in most of my fishing situations I have a extra rod strapped to by backpack whilst fishing the surf and the reel does spend a lot of time in the water with a lot of suspended sand in the waves plus occasionally I do take a dunk after a big set of wave roll in.

I just need some comfort that these reels can be easily cleaned and stripped should the need arise. There was a post on Strippers Online where a guy mentioned that the only way he got the drag back to its original glory was to soak the reel in warm water and strip/retrieve line whilst progressively adding tension to the drag as a means to get rid of the sand in the drag system. That got me worried.
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 28-11-13 at 10:54 AM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Can't really comment as don't know the exact facts - what I can tell you is that using non-sealed Coltons, Tibors and TFO's I have not had any issues - that includes 7 days on Christmas Island where the guides are not exactly discerning about how long your rod rests on the flat with your reel fully immersed.......

What I do take comfort from is that if you hunt around online you will find very little bad press of facts about Colton. That backed up with my use (I am a bit of a tackle slob and have been known to rinse off only 7 or 8 days after a day on the briny) I have never been let down.

Granted a lot of my work is done bluewater, but sitting up in a rod rack running 20 - 27 nm a lot of spray hits the reel so I am pretty confident in my gear.

As mentioned though - if you are casting in the waves and reels are continually getting dunked - wait a few months, be prepared to pay a little more and get the sealed version - I have seen the design diagrams and they look shit hot....Mike Pawlawski has been soaking one regularly in Florida over the last few months as part of the pre-launch field testing and they are rock solid.

I spend a lot of money chasing fish - I will not use something that I feel will let me down and waste that money once I am on the fish - I have a number of Tibors as well as Coltons and TFO's - none have failed me - so I wonder - is "premium" only premium in name and price ?

The gear we use these days is so so far ahead of what we all started out with - I think we tend to get caught up in the beter mousetrap argument more often than not....remember those Deane 9 weights for R39......case in point - we still caught lots on them !!!

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast