Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UCT dam

Default UCT dam

I hear from a "reliable source" that the dam at UCT has recently been stocked with 50 trout, in the 2.5kg and over range. Apparently they want to make an attempt to restore it to a trout dam, and get rid of the bass. The theory is that the large trout will eat all the bass before they get to spawning age. If this is true, there are going to be some pretty huge trout, for the pickings...very soon.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre, how do I get in there to fish?

Not sure, I think they might still sell day permits for visitors, but otherwise, you might need to know someone who is a member of UCT fishing club. I remember years ago one could drive up to the admin office at the upper campus and buy a day permit....not sure if they still do that, but it's worth a try.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

i got a season permit from the sports department a couple years ago.very difficult to police that dam and I fear if word of big trout gets out,it could spell trouble.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Wow, a blast from the past - that is where I started flyfishing, lost many a fly on the wire fence surrounding the dam. Caught 1 or 2 small trout but great to hear they are introducing some lunkers!!!

You mean, I have to dress up like a tree wielding a fly rod once again Andre?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Those fish won't last the summer, they will be poached out before you know it!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

they have never had a poaching problem there. Too much security.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    they have never had a poaching problem there. Too much security.
    I have to disagree Andre, when I used to fish there 2005-2008 they def had a poaching problem, as well as a high mortality rate of released fish. I got some nice fish in there but it was quite a difficult place to cast due to fence on one side and steep bank and pine trees on other side. (may have changed over the last few years though)

Howsit guys, me and a mate went to check the dam out last week and its very over grown and looked as though it will be a huge challenge to fly fish and the *** thing is that they dont allow spinning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast