Thread: Struisbaai, De mond area

Default Struisbaai, De mond area

Hi guys

Im heading down to struisbaai for two weeks on Wednesday.

Hows the flyfishing in that area? Anybody catching anything at the moment?

Tips and hotspots would be appreciated.

All I heard was the area at the Harbor and rocky section next to it is a good place to start.

Thx

Riaan

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hi,
    While I have not recently fished the De Mond estuary recently, between Arniston and Struisbaai, it is certainly worth visiting this scenic estuary. You can target small leeries, up to around 60 cm, grunter, mullet and perhaps cob. Also try east of Arniston for blacktail etc.
    Regards
    Niel

Thank you...will give it a shot...

In Arniston you can catch blacktail and wildeperd in the gullies. Low tide is better and the Kassies Baai area is more productive for fly. Small tan Charlies, salty buggers, shrimps and so on.

wildeperd.jpg

As Niel mentioned, De Mond is a well known spot. Your best chance to catch grunter on fly.

You can also fish the beaches to the left and right of De Mond. Kob would be the target species here.

Struisbaai itself is a very underrated spot. I caught my first leeries on fly from the rocks between the harbour and the beach (due east). Big kob, elf and leervis have been caught from the side in Struis, so give it a shot. Low tide at dusk and dawn are the most productive.

Struis kob from a while ago:

surf-kob.jpg

Thx Conrad... looking forward to it. Just hope the weather is going to give me a chance. But will definitely put in the time at above mentioned spots. Hoping for some action. Put in alot of time on the vice the last couple of days stocking my flybox. Will post some pics of my catches. Thx for the insight. Much appreciated. Nice kob you landed there.