Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jozini dam Swaziland - Tigers

Default Jozini dam Swaziland - Tigers

Hi chasps, haven't been on the forum for ages and I thought i 'd share my most recent fishing trip in Swaziland. I've been to Swaziland a few times but never fished any dams. Only now with the in laws interested in my fly fishing excursions we decided to takthe boat out and have a go at some tigers...which for me was a first!

Got to Jozini a bit late, rigged up but had no luck from the boat. Weather was overcast and wind choppy. Only at around 2pm when the weather changed so did my luck. I waded in started casting out my 2\0 chartreuse fly.

Was about my 6th or 7th cast when bam, had a fish on. Quickly netted the little fish and I was happily flaunting my first tiger! Brilliant! Moved to a new side spot and my first cast out as soon as the fly hit the water I had another fish on!

Great day out and an awesome experience.

Cheers G
    IMG-20131225-WA000.jpgIMG-20131225-WA000.jpgIMG-20131222-00805.jpg
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

You waded in? Moer you wont see the new year if you keep that up
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

I second that....hope you were kidding about wading in :frown:
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Unfortunately I have seen lots an lots of up country folk think that crocodiles are a myth, seems to be the only logical reason for their actions.

Anyone coming to Kzn, do not get into the water unless you are specifically told there are NO crocodiles and even then be wary..
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

A couple of years ago, a Pommie was on a boat, got to the spot, where they were taking the boat out of the water, decided to make a couple of casts.
    The local guy told him to be careful, he hooked a fish, and played it to long for the liking of the local, the local told him to "GET OUT" next moment, croc on the Pommie's leg.
    The Pom spent about 2 weeks in hospital, wanted to sue the local etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Gwydion I am sure you got the message by now :biggrin:

Congrats on the Tigers by the way!!!
    www.flyordie.co.za

Nice fish Gwydion,

That is somewhere i have always wanted to fish, did you fish form the KZN wildlife side?

I see the guys that fish the pongola river below the Jozini dam wall wade all the time ... so locals don't seem to worried about the crocs in that area? I recon the guys on the forum just aren't as hard-core as you are

Good to see you back no the forum, welcome back.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    I see the guys that fish the pongola river below the Jozini dam wall wade all the time ... so locals don't seem to worried about the crocs in that area? I recon the guys on the forum just aren't as hard-core as you are
    Its just a matter of time before someone is taken there... There are Crocs only a few kilometers downstream of the concession area and can travel up stream freely. I know of Crocs that have been found in the Bushmans River that's more than 300km inland and have taken a few of the locals dogs in the last few years. With Crocs being protected their population is booming and they are looking for new territories...
    www.flyordie.co.za

www.flyordie.co.za

here is one from the pongola upstream of Jozini a few years ago .. pretty hairy!

http://www.explorationsociety.org/drupal/trips/pongola
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast