Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you catch leervis on clousers and deceivers !?

Question How do you catch leervis on clousers and deceivers !?

This is a callout to those accomplished leervis tamers out there.

I've pretty much only caught leervis on poppers and flippers/gurglers

and I so badly want to hook into a decent size fish and am running out of time this holiday
    I'm at witsand breede river and the westerly is howling but that does not put me off and hopefully not the fish either.
    The water temp has just dropped substantially from being very warm to I guess about 25C

Please share any advise on fishing clousers and deceivers for these fish.
    And if you would be so gracious as to share a few locations apart from the sandbank in the middle opposite hotel.

Any advice is welcome as I am no expert but have all the aspirations of becoming one :P

" Men and fish wouldn't get into trouble if they kept their mouths shut" - Jimmy D. Moore

Quote Originally Posted by hairyleery View Post
    I've pretty much only caught leervis on poppers and flippers/gurglers
    Stay with what works. Bigger if you can cast them.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyleery View Post
    The water temp has just dropped substantially from being very warm to I guess about 25C
    Shouldn't be too much of an issue if the water temp stays constant for a few days. First and last light are superior times. Falling tides are good - when the baitfish are forced away from shelter in the shallow margins.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Hi Dylan

Go and look for a Facebook group called Witsand Leerie Friends. The guys post regular updates of their catches and they don't mind sharing information. That should sort out the when and where......

As for flies..... Bigger is better but it doesn't have to be longer than six inches or thereabouts. Surface flies not only call fish from further away, they also create the impression of a far bigger baitfish.

Good luck!!!

MC

In my experience with Leervis (rather limited) id that they take subsurface flies far more frequently that surface poppers. Hookup rate also seems to be better. chuck out a deceiver, or clouser, or any baitfish fly, let it go down a few inches, and start stripping. Also a good tactic to drag a lightly dressed baitfish fly about 15 to 20 inches behind your popper.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I dont think there are too many big leeries around at breede at present.If they are they would have chased your surface fly.A change to sub surface pattern wont gaurentee a bigger fish.fish patterns you are confident with and fish hard,if there are fish around you will get one.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Awesome ! thanks for the replies everyone.

From your replies i think i'm on the right track.

Unfortunately the weather turned bad and the wind didn't stop, only got stronger with rain.
    On the first morning, 6am, I patrolled the river banks on the hotel side and got two hits and had one on for a few seconds, didn't land any
    I've been luckier in the past. Was using a pink foam popper.

I braved the wind and the currents and paddled across to the main sand bank, fished the pushing tide until i was drowning but no luck.
    Tried 3 inch clousers and deceivers (all pretty much green/chartreuse over white) Intermediate line, letting it sink before doing a long medium strip.
    Also tried a white flipper which normally brings success. nothing interested.

Ive never tried trailing a fly behind a popper but will definitely try that next time out, probably at Zandvlei. kinda like fishing a dropper for trout i guess. still need to break my Zandvlei mombak.

Only gonna make it back to breede for easter.

I think i need to start tying my own poppers, i've got a kit so there's no excuse...

Cheers for the pointers everyone, it's really great to have a good community to turn to.

I fish for Leervis exclusively on a minnow pattern with a intermediate line. You miss 95% of floating grass which screws up the whole idea.
    I vary my retrieves if one does not work to another.
    Targeting drop offs at channels will give you the best chance.
    I am using a minnow pattern that I tie on a 5/0 hook, thus the pattern is larger and meatier, pushing more water.
    Be prepared for blank days, even if the fish are there.
    Also I have seen leeries chase and hit the fly without feeling anything on the rod, so just because you do not feel a strike does not mean they are not interrested.
    It can take a lot of casts before you get a hook up.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

I also spent the December holiday at Witsand. It was my first time properly targeting leeries on fly. I managed to land a couple, but also nothing huge. Im no expert on leeries at all, so not sure what is considered a big fish on fly. Two of the fish I landed were around 60cm fork length. Picture of one below. The stripping guide on my fly rod is at 77cm. There was no one nearby to take the picture, so I had to put the fish on the wet sand for a couple of seconds.

All my fish were caught on plain white poppers, or plain white weighted clousers with a red head. Most were caught on the white clousers. I was actually surprised that the takes were often on fairly slow(ish) retrieves. I always thought that the retrieved should almost be as fast as possible? I even missed a take on a static popper while having a look through my fly box. Was not expecting a take at all. My rookie mistake Always be ready for a take. Would a catch have qualified for leerie on a dry fly?

I have not fished the sand bank in the middle of the river. My fish were mostly caught on the long open sand bank right at the river mouth during rising tide. There is a drop-off right at the edge of the sand bank. Another spot that produced, was at the parking area next to the Kraaltjie during spring tide. The water came up high, forming a nice deep drop-off against the rocks.

When I found what I considered to be a nice spot, or fish activity, I basically kept to that spot and tried different flies and retrieves. The fish seemed to be patrolling the channel and drop-off, so they moved around. A spot would be very quiet for some time, and then all of the sudden I would get a chase on most casts before it quieted down again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mornesm; 08-01-14 at 11:07 AM.

Hi

I am no expert on these fish either being "inlander" do not get much time to try for them but on holidays to Morgans Bay and Jbay I try to target them with varied success. Mornesm your fish is in my books certainly not a bad specimen.

My findings is much the same as the other guys so I will probably just repeat lots of what is been said. I have also not fished Witsand but only estuaries around Jbay and Morgans's Bay up to Haga-Haga.

Findings:

Typically when I use poppers it would be white or yellow, white seems to be preferred typically and with poppers the pops matters so it needs to push water and pop and gurgle a lot, then like MC said you get interest I believe from fish not only close to where you started but also fish that came to find out about the noise. That said up to now I have not yet decided if poppers gets more or less attention than subsurface flies.

When fishing subsurface again I favor and i believe the Garrick as well the white deceivers and clousers i tie on above the chartrues(sp) flies I tie on, based on the locations I fished anyway, and then like have been said the retrieve varies from slow smooth, to slow jerky to fast retrieves. So like in any fishing mix up the retrieve and flies and fly sizes.

My 2c.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Morne,

Nice Fish ! did it give you a decent fight ? what weight rod did u catch it on.
    I would really appreciate a pic of the poppers and clousers that worked for you.
    I now wish i had taken a walk along there, i know that drop off and haven't fished it in a long while. Did you try fishing in the surf around that area ?
    Thanks for the detailed info it really helps.

same to you Pieter and Brian,

If you could post a pic of your poppers and clousers that would be awesome.
    I'm convinced that i now need to start tying.
    I find it such a struggle to find and buy the right stuff.
    Last edited by hairyleery; 08-01-14 at 12:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast