Thread: Wagendrift Lydenburg

Default Wagendrift Lydenburg

Hi,

Anybody been to Wagendrift, Lydenburg lately ? Will be there next weekend, any advise on the fishing, they say river fishing available ? Also flies that is working at the moment ?

Havn't been there in about 10 years, but ...

Long leaders with tag teams of MF nymphs and buzzers fished static or on figure 8 retrieve used to outfish most everything else.

The top dam (right hand side of road as you drive in) used to be awesome, bottom dam was a different beast, still fun.

The river is the lower reaches of the Spekboom, they do not stock it, if you do find fish there, they either come from upstream or are self sustaining, and it's not going to be a huge numbers thing (well that's how it was way back, that part of the Spekboom stopped flowing during dry spells.

Have fun, good luck.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thanks, I will give it a try. Don't know how much rain Lydenburg received the last few days, good thing there is the dams to fish. Will let you know.

We had a good time staying at Wagendrift. Arrived with a thunderstorm on Friday so no fishing. Saterday morning early fished the small dam in front of the cabin and for about a hour the fishing was good. Fished with a floating line, long leader. Started with a few dries but no luck, did not help that our Golden retriever went for a few swims. Switched to intermediate line with white death and that seem to do the trick.

I did try the bottom dam but no luck, few guys with spinnig gear fished the inlet area and I saw them taking out a few trout. Sunday morning I went to the dam next to the road, as you drive in on the right. Plenty of action in this dam, nice weed beds with about 1.5 - 2 meter deep pools and channels in between. Used a floating line, long leader and dragon fly nymphs, brown, let them sink and then slow strip.

I would say it was definatley worth the visit, fishing was not easy but got enough, even saw a fishing eagle on the top dam, that made my day. Did not fish the river, water temp was hot.

thanks a million for the report back...heading out to wagendrift for my bachelors the weekend of the 28th....we booked out the whole place looool....thats gonna make for a very interesting report....hehe
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Guys,

Anyone been to Wagendrift near Lydenburg? I would like to know what the place is like, we are thinking of booking it for a family gathering, nice place? Not too concerened about the fishing, I will come right with whatever is on offer, just want to find out if its the kind of place that wife and kids could also enjoy for a few days.
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Awesome place...river a bit dead but the fish in the dams are awesome...especially sight fishing...huge topwater action and still water damsels work a treat...hopefully its still to cold for slitheries to come out. Was there during feb and in one evening came accross three adders around the dam and a few swimming accross the dam...

All in all wonderful dam