View Poll Results: Indicator method or nymphing method?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indicator 0-5 fish

4 25.00%
  • Indicator 5-10 fish

1 6.25%
  • Indicator 10-15 fish

3 18.75%
  • Nymphing 0-5 fish

0 0%
  • Nymphing 5-10 fish

2 12.50%
  • Nymphing 10-15 fish

8 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Indicator fishing or nymphing what is better ? Pole!

Post Indicator fishing or nymphing what is better ? Pole!

Hi Guys

Can we please vote and see what method is better, I have read the threads regarding indicator or not. and can see that there is different methods for different waters but lets try and see how effective each on is. please vote for your method and the amount of fish caught on average per day on each method (Vaal for now).

EDIT: Guys this pole is not to determine which nymphing method is better to use. it is just to determine if nymhping has a edge in general to indicator fishing ( meaning doing long 5- 8 meter cast up stream and watching the indicator) or taking the time and getting close so you can stay in contact with your flies with different nymphing methods ?

so to put it simple which approach results in more fish per day.
    Last edited by Johann; 13-01-14 at 11:53 AM.

Sorry Johan laat ek dit gou vir die Afrikaners verduidelik:
    Daarsy manne - watter tegniek is beter - Flikkerhengel of Jagsestroppie.

LOL Dankie askies mense sal vogende keer dit afri eng maak

I cant vote, because the pole is far too subjective....What kind of indicatior fishing?...and what kind of nymphing???
    Basically you are asking, "what is better, " a one meter piece of string, or a two meter piece of string"?
    There are just too many types of indicator fishing, that can be so far different from others, and just too many tyopes of nymphing, and there is also nymphing with various types of indicators.... so how do we even start?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre

just to keep it clear for others as well . the poll is just to determine what method is more effective on average in the vaal. Indicator fishing, refering to using yarn and doing 5- 8 meter casts away from you. or nymphing like CZN(not only) next to you and staying intouch with your flies.( i know you can use indicators with this method too)

Andre
    To me there is no contest:
    You will struggle to catch muddies far away from you as you will always be to late with the strike, same for yellows on most days.
    Competition angling has shown that the closer you fish the more fish you will pull out.
    There might be exceptions to spooky fish or clearer water where you would like to fish further away from you but then you do that not by first choice, as it is difficult to keep in contact with your flies.

interesting to see after a very long absence from the forum, as much as things changed things stayed the same

in this pole i voted as I understood the question but in my opinion there are like Andre said too many variables for this to be accurate, I stopped using indicators completely but it does not limit me to only short cast either, I still cast longer casts as well, the closest I come to indicator like fishing is using a dry and dropper setup.

My choice to not use indicators is pretty silly as it is based on me being lazy, I never liked the amount of effort I had to put into looking after indicators that floats wrong, or sinks or tangles etc.

But since I stopped bothering with indicators I upped catch rates and had to learn to use all senses to know when to strike.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

I have never tried to use a pole, a prefer a fly rod.

I used to "Indicator" (by definition of this thread) fish for yellows till Herman invited newbies to join him for a demonstration day.

Now I short line nymph and the difference is monstrous. I actually catch fish now

I didn't say czech because sometimes I fish a bit differently to that style but still keep it short.

Ok I understand. Its in the context of fishing for yellows on the Vaal, in fairly shallow and moving water, either CZN nymphing, or using a yarn indicator for upstream casts of several meters. Ok that's easy. Czech nymphing, or short line nymphing wins hands down in any type of comparison between these two methods. However there is a method of nymphing that I have found even more effective in some cases for yellows, it a long line, or "leader to hand nymphing". Very effective to alternate between this and CZN nymphing if you are able to set up your leader so as you don't have to make changes in order to make the different casts required.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast