Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TFO Jim Teeny Hype

Ok, waiting to buy another reel. I have got a 9' Rise and a 10' Teeny both in 5wt, what lines reccomendations will you guys give for either of them. Floating line mainly. I must they that my casts are getting more relaxed as I go on and casting at different angles etc seem to become easier...

Especially fishing for bass in tight and vegetated spots the open space required isn't there most of the time and thus will help in the long run with the technical aspects of casting a fly rod.

I am giving the rods some time now for a while...

Next question...what would be the right WT for tigerfishing and what trace does one use when fly fishing for tigers? I was thinking of a 7-9wt rod with maybe something like a Shilton SL5 that I might use in the salt too when the oppertunity arrises....

Also a very dumb qustion I guess but do you get weedless fly's for bass fishing...one of the private venues we fish is very vegetated and fly's get hung up too easily....also what breaking strain leader would you reccomend for fishing for bass as well as tippet size...

Regards
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Mark Krige's Harvest.
    Is it a Mayfly?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I have the 5wt 10 foot JT and I absolutely love this rod.

It didnt get off to the best start in life breaking a tip before I had even cast it but that was quickly sorted out by Adrian at Optimax.

It does have a few quirks like the grip quality not being the best and the guides tending not to line up but these are just part of the character and dont affect the fishing experience one bit.

As an all round rod I have yet to have fished with anything better. Admittedly I have not tried everything out there but as other guys have said this is deeply personal as not everyone casts or fishes the same.

For me it has a unique blend of solid backbone with a very sensitive tip that protects tippet (as David mentions above) superbly! Delicate presentation of dries at long distance is light work. And one would think that this may exlcude this from being a fine nymphing rod but that is not the case at all. I use this on the Vaal often and it is a pleasure to fish. As Gerrit mentioned, it is one of few 5wts that can handle the odd brute that you hook while fishing for Yellows. Strong butt make fighting fish simple combined with the fleixble tip allows you to bring the fish in close in fast rivers without having to dislocate your shoulder.

Give it a good chance, stick with it and work it out and you will end up loving it
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

if you are shopping around, have a look at the horizon trs+. i won one in a comp, and i have to say, im very impressed. very fast action rod. beautiful finishes, great quality cork. price seems reasonable as well, if you compare it to the more upmarket rods. im not sure though if they come in 10ft rods.
    catch and release

[QUOTE=[I]emjaysmit;241975]Next question...what would be the right WT for tigerfishing and what trace does one use when fly fishing for tigers? I was thinking of a 7-9wt rod with maybe something like a Shilton SL5 that I might use in the salt too when the oppertunity arrises....

Also a very dumb qustion I guess but do you get weedless fly's for bass fishing...one of the private venues we fish is very vegetated and fly's get hung up too easily....also what breaking strain leader would you reccomend for fishing for bass as well as tippet size...[/
    [/I]QUOTE]

For the Tiger's anything from 6-8 would suffice, although you may have to fish heavier if conditions demand it.

With regards to trace, some guys fish wire, although my personal preference is fishing hard mono.
    Yeah, they have some serious dental issues, but I have found the mono slips between the gaps as opposed to something like the wahoo which has shearing teeth. I have fished very light wire and find the action of the fly suffers somewhat.
    IMG_1366A (Small).jpg
    You could also go mono coated wire if you wish. Use a lighter to melt the mono to make the connection.
    Any light salt water reel will be fine - the fight is generally short and brutal with lots of acrobatics and then they give up.

Weedless flies definitely do exist. There are different styles you can use depending on where or what you are fishing for.
    Mono spikes or mono loops (single or double) are the most common.
    Hard mason is my personal choice for making them as it can be manipulated and bent to stay in place.

Barramundi 7 copyA (Small).jpg
    This picture shows a barramundi caught in pretty thick snags using a weedless fly.
    Water Lillies III (Small).jpg
    Last edited by Kevin James; 21-01-14 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Add some shit....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    if you are shopping around, have a look at the horizon trs+. i won one in a comp, and i have to say, im very impressed. very fast action rod. beautiful finishes, great quality cork. price seems reasonable as well, if you compare it to the more upmarket rods. im not sure though if they come in 10ft rods.
    I have a Horizon TRS 9wt. If you like fast rods this thing is a dream. The blank is quite thick but dont let that put you off. Also don't let anyone trash it because it is a horizon. I have two horizons and am incredibly impressed with both. Last time I checked they didn't come in 10ft. I think they would be great for bass. The lined that work best on both my Horizons (9ft 9wt TRS and 9ft 5wt XRS) for shooting long distances with minimal false casting are Rio lines. If you have limited finances and you are mostly bass fishing you cant go wrong with a Rio mainstream. Not great for delicate dry fly but casts big flies a mile effortlessly. I have taken a bass of 55cm on my Horizon 5wt in a situation where I has to prevent it from running into the weeds and it had the butt power to do it easily. I use the same 5wt for small leeries. Do have a look at Horizon.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I have the 5wt 10 foot JT and I absolutely love this rod.

It didnt get off to the best start in life breaking a tip before I had even cast it but that was quickly sorted out by Adrian at Optimax.

It does have a few quirks like the grip quality not being the best and the guides tending not to line up but these are just part of the character and dont affect the fishing experience one bit.

As an all round rod I have yet to have fished with anything better. Admittedly I have not tried everything out there but as other guys have said this is deeply personal as not everyone casts or fishes the same.

For me it has a unique blend of solid backbone with a very sensitive tip that protects tippet (as David mentions above) superbly! Delicate presentation of dries at long distance is light work. And one would think that this may exlcude this from being a fine nymphing rod but that is not the case at all. I use this on the Vaal often and it is a pleasure to fish. As Gerrit mentioned, it is one of few 5wts that can handle the odd brute that you hook while fishing for Yellows. Strong butt make fighting fish simple combined with the fleixble tip allows you to bring the fish in close in fast rivers without having to dislocate your shoulder.

Give it a good chance, stick with it and work it out and you will end up loving it
    Agreed. My dad uses it for nymphing on the cape streams and it is fantastic.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

awesome guys thanks....finances must always be made a plan for when buying kit...I started off with a rio mainstream line and it's held up nicely so far....main choices are definately rio gold or airflow equivalent...dont mind spending the bucks on line as it will in my opinion make life much more forgiving...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123