Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TFO Jim Teeny Hype

will be heading out to mavungana in the near future and they apparently have a testing fascility....shame I am gonna chase John or Jonothan around like crazy....this rod this has become like a woman looking for her wedding dress.....

So what the hell....lets just try them all!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's the cheapest rod in the range that brings the best out in me.....excuse me guys I am still very new to this fly fishing thing and still shaking the common off myself from conventional angling hahahahahahahaha......I don't mean to sound like a know it all too....I must just slow down a little....I am trying to acomplish to much to soon....a bit of obsesive compulsive disorder.....at this stage spending a solid 4-5 hours most days practicing my cast.....it gives you one hell of a workout lol....now I know why flyfisherman on telly are normally in shape and why bass ous are fat hahahahhahahaha.....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post

Some of the SAGE rods are so fast, you'd miss them if you blinked:biggrin:
    Some are so fast that they are replaced by newer models before you see them!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    NO method to the madness I agree!!!

ok so I gave the rod another chance and officially landed my first few bass hehehe, it held up well.....now dumb question...when alligning my little blue dots perfectly the guides slightly start moving towards the right....like a spiral wrap similar to kistler custom rods....should this be like that or is it just another week finish on the rod and that the guides should actually be allighned perfectly in a straight line.....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    NO method to the madness I agree!!!
    SAGE advice on both accounts

Still cant figure out if this is correct. when alligning my od exactly with the little blue dots my guides seem to spiral to the righ? is this a mistake or is this correct...

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    Still cant figure out if this is correct. when alligning my od exactly with the little blue dots my guides seem to spiral to the righ? is this a mistake or is this correct...
    Should be aligned straight. Rather than count on the alignment dots, align the guides by eye. Unless the actual guides are spiralling, in which case I'd take the rod back and ask for one with properly aligned guides.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Common problem with JT. Had it on 5wt and 7wt...

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    You say you are a newby or in your words a virgin to flyfishing.
    Newby's tend to cast to fast. Later on in life you will learn to slow down. So whilst a fast action rod might suit you now, you might prefer a slower action later.

The line on your rod plays a major major role. The wrong choice of line will make a good rod feel cr@p.
    Maybe you have a casting technique problem.

A newby would find a Stealth Rise 9'ft 5wt loaded with 7wt Aquanova easier to cast than a Jim Teeny 5wt 10' loaded with 5wt SA Sharkskin.

I have the 9ft 4wt jim teeny and I have to say it is the nicest dry fly rod I have ever played with barring one. I have played with a 3wt Sage VXP, deep red, TFO finesse and a 9ft 3wt redington (CPX?). Although these are all fantastic rods for how I fish I would put the jim teeny ahead of all of those for dry fly. I must stress this is personal preference. I have used 8x on it without any issues. The line I use on it is a Barrio mallard 4wt dt. The only rod I have played with for dry fly on rivers which for me beats the jim teeny is Mark Krige's Harvest.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast