Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod length for rivers/streams?

Default Rod length for rivers/streams?

Im looking at getting a 7ft rod for rivers in the berg.What would be the advantages/disadvantages of having this shorter than average rod?

I mostly fish a 7.6 ft 3wt in the 'berg

advantages:
    "feels right" for most 'berg sized streams;
    presents dry fly nicely while crouching down;
    light enough to not completely outgun 'berg sized trout but still enough rod to handle the wind;

disadvantages:
    if you are high sticking dries it would sometimes be nice to have slightly more "reach";
    casting heavy nymphs is not really an option with this rod;
    on steams with lots of bushes a bit more "reach" would assist with the back cast clearing the bushes and flicking flies over obstacles etc;
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I mostly fish a 10ft 3wt in the 'berg.

I would not suggest a rod under 9ft length for most stream fishing in SA.
    Unless you are fishing UNDER trees/bushes (immediately over your head), a 7ft rod will be at a disadvantage for everthing else over a longer rod.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

NO ADVANTAGE.
    The only place where short rod has advantage is where there are lots of overhead bushes.
    Go long up to 10 foot.
    Longer reach, more line of the water. less mending etc
    Easier nymphing
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I mostly fish a 10ft 3wt in the 'berg.

I would not suggest a rod under 9ft length for most stream fishing in SA.
    Unless you are fishing UNDER trees/bushes (immediately over your head), a 7ft rod will be at a disadvantage for everthing else over a longer rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    NO ADVANTAGE.
    The only place where short rod has advantage is where there are lots of overhead bushes.
    Go long up to 10 foot.
    Longer reach, more line of the water. less mending etc
    Easier nymphing
    I can agree and disagree. Given preference in style and technique it's VERY hard to advocate a long/short rod. Longer rods are nothing new, but there have been a LOT of techniques developed to use them extremely effectively. I think therein lies the biggest difference (for me).
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

It very much depends on your style of fishing, and your preferred method. Both short and longer rods have their place, but its becoming increasingly difficult for me to justify anything under 9 feet, for any kind of stream fishing in SA. The advantages of a longer rod far outweigh the disadvantages, whereas a shorter rod just doesn't seem to cut it for me anymore. I also fish a 10 foot rod in all types of stream work, but as Gary says, unless you are fishing under tight vegetation, the short rod isn't a very versatile option.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The current fashion is long rods. According to the flyfishing ***s anyway. I agree with Mario though, it's personal taste.

I have used up to 13' rods on our streams but I find I can manipulate complicated casts more effectively with shorter rods. Yes, longer rods for high sticking but there are certain hookcasts and roll casts that I find easier to do accurately with shorter rods. It could be something to do with the amount of composite material and response times under load. Do'nt know.

I know when I head out to the WC streams I would be entirely comfortable with anything from 7'6" to 8'6". Shorter in bamboo, of course.

Ive notice glass rods tend to be in the shorter range...why is this.
    Orvis released the superfine touch glass rods,they are 8ft and under

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Ive notice glass rods tend to be in the shorter range...why is this.
    Orvis released the superfine touch glass rods,they are 8ft and under
    I reckon the materials cannot support itself much more beyond that, unless you increase wall thickness and diameter, which would make it much heavier and bulkier. Same with bamboo.

The SFT rods are not glass though, it's graphite - just unsanded.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

SFT are graphite but orvis have released the superfine glass rods as of 2014.Go to the orvis website and check it out here: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...ubcat_id=44125
    Last edited by saflyfish; 27-01-14 at 05:03 PM. Reason: correction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast