Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a 3wt?

Default Help me choose a 3wt?

Im looking for a mid to top of the range 3wt for rivers/streams in the Drakensberg(Bushmans,Umzinkulu etc).I like fishing small dries,but also like to use a nymph with an indicator.
    Currently looking at the orvis sft range,the 7'6;the sage circa;orvis sf glass 7';Winston Biit 8' etc

If you fish rivers/streams a lot,even cape streams,what is your best OVERALL 3wt or go to rod for this type of fishing.Please be specific with make/model/length etc.
    Without wanting to offend anyone,please reply if you own a particular rod or have used a particular rod extensively and have experience with it.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Im looking for a mid to top of the range 3wt for rivers/streams in the Drakensberg(Bushmans,Umzinkulu etc).I like fishing small dries,but also like to use a nymph with an indicator.
    Currently looking at the orvis sft range,the 7'6;the sage circa;orvis sf glass 7';Winston Biit 8' etc

If you fish rivers/streams a lot,even cape streams,what is your best OVERALL 3wt or go to rod for this type of fishing.Please be specific with make/model/length etc.
    Without wanting to offend anyone,please reply if you own a particular rod or have used a particular rod extensively and have experience with it.
    Brian, if you like fishing nymphs with an indicator then a very slow action rod like the ones mentioned (except the Boron) might not be the way to go, that is, if you are fishing heavier nymphs. You can do it, obviously, but there is a point where presentation will suffer when nymphs become too heavy. Just my personal opinion.

I really like the TXL-F range, but they could be too short for a lot of people. The Borons are AMAZING, and if you can afford it then go for it - probably one of the best stream rods I have ever fished. Best bang for buck would be the Superfine Touch (not the glass). Going longer, you can't really beat the ESN in a #2 or #3 - they are really great. I'd love a 2100, just can't justify it at the moment

These are rods that I have fished and that are available freely in SA/online. There are so many others, and I would be hard pressed to start and then have to say that Rod A is no longer available, Rod B is only available in a blank, or comes at a massive price etc.

Looking forward to what others are going to say - always good to see.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I have an Stealth Infinity #3 10" and a Sage ESN #3 10"
    I have a fished the Umzinkulu and the Bushmans on a number of occasions. Plus the Cape Streams on the odd occasion.
    The rods that you look at, is IMHO, way to short.
    Fish for a day with a 10" and then go back and try a 7"6 or 8", then you will understand.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I would again agree with Korrie that all of those rods are too short to be a good ALLROUND (overall) rod for stream fishing.
    IF you fish a short 7-8ft rod, then try a ~9ft rod on the same water, you will see a big difference.
    I would suggest you look at at least an 8 1/2-9ft rod. Far more versatile in the long run.
    As to which rods - since you are looking on the top end, my suggestion would be:
    Sage ONE 9ft 3wt would be an excellent choice - capable of delicate stuff, good sensitivity for nymphing, while being able to cast streamers etc if required.
    Last edited by GGY; 29-01-14 at 09:36 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

already some great advice from the guys...im definately now considering something longer...it seems to be the consensus here

6. Default

already some great advice from the guys...im definately now considering something longer...it seems to be the consensus here
    2.5 out of 3 yes
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

mario,the scott G2's look great...have you fished them?

8. Default

mario,the scott G2's look great...have you fished them?
    No I have not, sadly. Nothing from Scott is bad, must be said. The G-series rods are cult, real classics.
    Mario Geldenhuys

I am also looking for my first fibreglass in 3wt , after #4 and two #5 weight glass rods, and it will be Epic #3 weight 7'- 7'1'' length .
    Carl McNeil will come up with the new 3wt rod line in a few weeks time , and no any graphite can get even close to glass delicacy, feeling and executive delivery in the terms of fly presentation and 7-8 X tippets protection in this weight/length .

You can get and order the Epics from Derek Smith .

With Sage Circa one cannot make tight loop, only those 1 m wide circular loops , hence the name circa , or better to say "any wind helpless rod " .
    With 3wt glass one can make whatever he wants - 2m wide loop or 1o cm tight loop, and can proceed with fishing if there is a small breeze blowing over the River .....who know he knows ..

But I feel you will not like this advice again saflyfish, pity ...
    Last edited by Zoran; 29-01-14 at 08:07 PM.

Yooooooo..... You have made some far reaching and sweeping generalisations here. too much I don't agree with, but anyhow, opinions are opinions, and we are all certainly entitled to our own. For me, I believe that even with the advances in glass technology, the best glass rod, is still worse than the worst graphite rod. (ok, also a sweeping generalisation) but if glass was all its cracked up to be, we would all still be using glass rods. It certainly isn't true that glass rods by default present better than graphite, and protect light tippets better. These are functions of the anglers skill, more than the abilities of the rod. I for one, haven't found a glass rod that comes anywhere close to some of the more respected graphite rods of today. certainly in terms of rod response, and performance in angling conditions, graphite is still the best mainstream technology for fly rods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    I am also looking for my first fibreglass in 3wt , after #4 and two #5 weight glass rods, and it will be Epic #3 weight 7'- 7'1'' length .
    Carl McNeil will come up with the new 3wt rod line in a few weeks time , and no any graphite can get even close to glass delicacy, feeling and executive delivery in the terms of fly presentation and 7-8 X tippets protection in this weight/length .

You can get and order the Epics from Derek Smith .

With Sage Circa one cannot make tight loop, only those 1 m wide circular loops , hence the name circa , or better to say "any wind helpless rod " .
    With 3wt glass one can make whatever he wants - 2m wide loop or 1o cm tight loop, and can proceed with fishing if there is a small breeze blowing over the River .....who know he knows ..

But I feel you will not like this advice again saflyfish, pity ...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast