Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Help me choose a 3wt?

Hi,
    I too have the 8'6 ZXL paired with a Abel 3N. It is a sweet combo. This is my goto rod on the river. My other river(small stream) rod is a TXL-F 0wt . My 3wt gets more air time.
    Cheers

Any 3wt will have plenty backbone in a breeze. It doesn't have to be made a criteria. You wont find a 3wt that isn't going to be able to handle a breeze, even the slowest floppiest 3 wt's will handle a moderate breeze. Things like your leader setup, and casting adjustments are the factors that will make the rod work in a breeze, not so much the rod itself. Even a 000wt is perfect in a breeze. Why don't you want to go longer than 9ft? have you tried a longer rod. you might be surprised, but 9ft is a pretty standard stream rod length these days. I find the 3wt a tad on the heavy side for stream work, I prefer the 2 wt, but hey, a 3wt will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    This post of mine has been hijacked a few times and im no closer to finding a 3wt.I dont want to go to 10ft,so 9ft and below is max.I would like the 3wt to have enough backbone if a breeze/wind picks up.I dont want to have to go to a 4wt under these conditions.I do prefer something medium fast.
    Last edited by Andre; 05-02-14 at 07:44 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9