Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighting Flies

1. Default Weighting Flies

Has any1 tried tungsten sheet as a lead substitute for weighting flies? It is denser, in theory allowing for slimmer profiles etc… but is it worth spending the extra $$$ ?

I chatted to a friend the other day who uses tungsten putty.
    Apparently it allows him to shape the bodies of his flies nicely.
    Its also little more cost effective. I have yet to find some though!
    I have unfortunately not used the tungsten sheet yet .
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I bought some tungsten sheeting for tying czech nymphs but I just don't find it heavy enough. I just use fine lead wire and find this much better. Not worth the money is my opinion.

I think lead is more like it, and you can always put some split shot on the leader, if you really think you need more deapth...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    I think lead is more like it, and you can always put some split shot on the leader, if you really think you need more deapth...
    Don't get me wrong Mike, I love tungsten beads and use them all the time. It's the tungsten sheeting that I don't like. Oliver Edwards (have I got the name right?) uses it in his DVD on tying czechs so I tried some but have been disappointed, just not enough tungsten impregnation I think. Fine lead wire gives a slim enough profile for me.

I have yet to need real weight in a fly; I don’t do the foreign thing... so I don’t need that sinker on the end of my leader. However, I have tied with the tungsten beads, and every time I broke a fly off, or lost the thing, I remembered the cost.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Yeah, tungstens are costly. Although I buy some from a local bloke who makes them himself and they are about a third of the retail price.

In the streams and rivers I fish I often have to get the fly down quickly at the head of the pool in fast current. Tungsten is the only real way in my opinion. I use black tungsten if I'm not wanting too much flash.

Hi Kevin, I'm personally not mad on beadheads especially tungsten ones as they sink unnaturally and are difficult to control in the 'target depth'. OK normal brass/copper beadheads work well with marabou tail for the action etc etc, but I just flatten round lead wire in pasta mangle when wife's not looking or simply buy Simans square lead wire in various weights - latter pretty pricey but a darn sight cheaper than tungsten. I think if you tie your flies slimly using square lead that utilises all the space to best advantage, your flies should sink sufficiently quickly, are controllable in a more natural manner, and don't sit unnaturally on the bottom like tungsten is apt to do in shallow waters unless you're continually moving the fly. In overfished waters I reckon the subtle use of lead underbody (it also can be stacked up front to get the beadhead wavering effect on retrieve) and concentrating on a more realistic appearance and limited use of flash usually scores over the beadhead brigade - I did preface the comment with 'usually'....!

Cheers

I have not yet tried tungston sheeting, but will give it a bash if I can find some. I use tungston putty, also very nice stuff, but tricky to tie with, very heavy. Tungston beads like with any other of our tools, has its place and time for use, you need to judge your situations and fish a fly for the circumstances.

Pieter, where do you find your tungsten putty?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast