Thread: Need help with Horizon XRS 5wt 9'

Default Need help with Horizon XRS 5wt 9'

Hi guys where can I possibly get more information on these rods...have surfed the net quite a bit but can't find tech specs...blanks used...what are the general experiences with this rod? Quality of reel seat and cork?

What is the weight of the rod (after my teeny experience I am petrified of heavy rods lol). What componenets do they use? who manufactures them and why don't they have website?

Any info regarding these rods would be to cool...thanx ta
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    Hi guys where can I possibly get more information on these rods...have surfed the net quite a bit but can't find tech specs...blanks used...what are the general experiences with this rod? Quality of reel seat and cork?

What is the weight of the rod (after my teeny experience I am petrified of heavy rods lol). What componenets do they use? who manufactures them and why don't they have website?

Made for Frontier Fly Fishing exclusively - they are not available anywhere else than from Frontier.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

3. Default

http://www.edge-1.com/Edge/Main.asp?D={6BF1D081-6711-4009-BCE4-E81BA5E0B225}&PageType=ProductList&CategoryID=734

http://www.edge-1.com/Edge/Main.asp?D={6BF1D081-6711-4009-BCE4-E81BA5E0B225}&PageType=ProductList&CategoryID=814

http://www.edge-1.com/Edge/Main.asp?D={6BF1D081-6711-4009-BCE4-E81BA5E0B225}&PageType=ProductList&CategoryID=733

http://www.edge-1.com/Edge/Main.asp?D={6BF1D081-6711-4009-BCE4-E81BA5E0B225}&PageType=ProductList&CategoryID=732
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Emjay - I can highly recommend the 5wt Horizon… I inherited mine from my old man when he passed away, and its been a fantastic rod in every sense… while it may not have the fancy name like Sage/Orvis/Scott/Winston/G.Loomis etc, ( I have plenty of those as well ) it has been a solid work horse, and in my opinion, for what I use it for, its a perfect balance of cost, action, feel and performance… spend the money you save on a high quality line or two ( floater and an intermediate ) and a good quality reel and spare spool, and you will have yourself a great set up…

Give Mike at Frontier a call, you won't regret it..
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Blog Entries

Congrats on winning that rod boet
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Thanx brootha....got it today...too schweeeeet...can't wait to go chuck some line with it...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Blog Entries

ooooh donder...die fly fishing bug het nog 'n victim...now when you going to leave this still water nonsense and take on Bushveld Small Scales and the like in your kneck of the woods heh?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

8. Default

Thanx brootha....got it today...too schweeeeet...can't wait to go chuck some line with it...
    Enjoy, it is a great stick...

I won one a while back and my word I was in for a surprise. It casts a mile and has a huge amount of butt power for a 5wt. I have used it for everything from bluegill to Leeries without any issues. I have even landed a leerie double up on it. It really isn't heavy. Enjoy. It is going to pleasantly surprise you.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Oh and if you are looking for some interesting facts it the XRS landed the biggest rainbow (officially) caught in SA at 17,5lb. This might be old the record has probably been broken by now but still an impressive feat.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.