Thread: Greetings from Glen Doone

Default Greetings from Glen Doone

Hey everyone my name is Keenan Spann and I am a young farmer here in the north eastern cape between Lady Grey and Barkly East. I live with my wife and young son on Glen Doone where we own 4km of karringmelkspruit and on another farm we own a further 6km. Karringmelkspruit is a pristine river full of fat wild rainbow trout.

I am passionate about fly fishing and enjoy meeting people with similar interests. If you keen at all check out www.glendoone.co.za. Its our website and there are some pics available for you guys to see where we come from. Looking forward to meeting some new people.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Keenan Spann View Post
    Hey everyone my name is Keenan Spann and I am a young farmer here in the north eastern cape between Lady Grey and Barkly East. I live with my wife and young son on Glen Doone where we own 4km of karringmelkspruit and on another farm we own a further 6km. Karringmelkspruit is a pristine river full of fat wild rainbow trout.

I am passionate about fly fishing and enjoy meeting people with similar interests. If you keen at all check out www.glendoone.co.za. Its our website and there are some pics available for you guys to see where we come from. Looking forward to meeting some new people.
    Hi Keenan - have you guys recently moved into Glen Doone? With all the rains it'll be a fair while before any fishing is to be had there ... I'll be keen to come and say howzit when the waters have dropped and cleared - been too long since I fished Glen Doone.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hey Mario

Yes we are new on Glen Doone but when I say new we have being here for going on 4 years. We completely overalled the cottage down by the river and turned into something special. We have had quite a bit of rain the past couple of days and the water level is at a good level but it still needs to clear a bit more before we will go fishing again so ya you are spot on about that.

When about did you fish here and where do you come from Mario?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Keenan Spann View Post
    Hey Mario

Yes we are new on Glen Doone but when I say new we have being here for going on 4 years. We completely overalled the cottage down by the river and turned into something special. We have had quite a bit of rain the past couple of days and the water level is at a good level but it still needs to clear a bit more before we will go fishing again so ya you are spot on about that.

When about did you fish here and where do you come from Mario?
    Last time I fished it was about 5 years ago, maybe even more. Marcelle still had the farm. We come from Aliwal North, so nice and close. Mainly fish Rhodes as we have some property there and get to the farm a bit.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Welcome Keenan
    I fished that area, 3 or 4 years ago, lovely waters, with some good fishing.
    Hope to visit that area again, in the not too distant future.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

6. Default

Keenan, I have to ask ... Are you part of the Karnemelk Collection/Collective (or something along those lines) that would prefer stay-over guests and charge day-visitors R250.00 per rod as day ticket?

For the forumers ... sadly I don't have the pic of the 60cm rainbow that Stephen Finnemore picked up just below the cottage a few years ago, but that's the fishing you can expect there when things are looking up. Came in just under 5 pounds they say.
    Mario Geldenhuys

No we are not part of the karringmelk collection. It was a concept that lots of the owners along the karringmelk we discussing but not everyone agreed with it. Obviously i would love for the people fishing our waters to be staying in our accommodation but I think its very unfair to want to charge someone so much to come fish just for the day. I mean with you staying in aliwal why would you want to come for a whole weekend.

I will gladly take anyone whom is serious about flyfishing and has good fishing ethics to come fish for the day!!!! And of course at a very reasonable rod fee for the day.