Thread: Striped Mullet

Default Striped Mullet

Okay, another quarry that I believe will be difficult to target on fly.
    I know a spot where there are shoals of them at times and there are a few torpedo's as well.

Has anyone got info on the tackle, fly needed for this fish?Or will it be the same as normal mullet?
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Blog Entries

You need a china to tag along?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

There were a couple of articles by Anthony Kruger covering striped mullet in TCFF a while ago. As far as I remember he used 4wts and #14 chartruce egg flies and similar with a white foam shell back in a dry dropper setup. Apparently they respond well to chartruce but seeing as I have no actual experience don't take this as fact.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    You need a china to tag along?
    Make that 2 china's if the dealer does not mind
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Depends how you want to target them. With sardine oil and bread they become easy to catch. standard floating bread fly with a dropper under it.

Targeting without 'cheating' becomes more difficult. That being said they can be stupid- I once caught a monster in Zandvlei on a small chartreuse and black egg sucking leech after pulling my hair out all afternoon with refusals on more 'natural' patterns.. Dtayl is right- for some or other reason mullet also seem to go bos for chartreuse.

Re rod weight- 6 weight for stripes as they are strong! Snapped a 5 weight on one trying to beast it in previously- don't underestimate the power of the big boys. They can go on blistering runs and get pretty aerial. That being said it depends where you are fishing and you would be able to get away with lighter on smaller sized shoals.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Great advice guys, thanks.
    I tied a algea fly and a Zulu (as per African fly fishing Hand book's advice) both on a number 14 hook. I will now also tie the recommended flies above and and if all else fails chum with bread and dip my flies in sardine oil, just to get a fair chance.
    the shoals I encountered had fish in the 30 cm range but a few big boys jumped and on that basis I will use a 7/8 weight.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Blog Entries

Hi Brian,
    If they are in the 30 cm range I will go a lot lighter. I catch southerm mullet in the 25 to 35 cm on a Sage 0#!
    When I am in Knysna again I will give you a few secret flies if you take me fishing!
    Regards
    Niel