Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forgotten knot for small dry flies

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    That is the "more difficult way", for me, but the basics is 100%.
    When tying a knot, I tend to use all 10 fingers, which makes it much easier.
    sketch and photo SBS to follow.
    Cool - looking forward. Like I said, better to hear from someone who has used it rather then relying on Google and a million other expert keyboard fisherman.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post

Like this?
    For a doffie who never uses a fly smaller than a #20, this knot looks suspiciously like an improved clinch knot, basically tied in reverse. Is there a difference between the 2 knots ito breaking strength ??????
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman
    An improved clinch knot improves nothing, it just proves that you can tie an improved clinch knot.
    The best is to tie hook/fly on either end of a mono, one with the improved clinch knot and the other with the Pitzen knot.
    Hook the 2 hooks/flies together at the bend and pull the mono apart.
    It is the easiest way to see which one works best for you.
    a "bad knot" tied well, is better than " a good knot" tied badly.
    According to the clever guys, and most people I know, the Pitzen is the strongest.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

A slightly modified version of the Turle is my knot of choice for all my dry fly fishing. Basically 3 reducing loops formed around each other, the last of which gets drawn tight first, locking up against the second which is also drawn tight, to form a slip-knot over the first loop. The remaining first loop is passed over the fly and secured around the eye whilst the latter two come up against the front of the eye, allowing the first loop to be drawn tight and ultimately locking it in place around the eye. The standard version works just as well. The resulting loop over the eye with the knot coming up against the eye is the key. It is the best knot imho for dry fly presentation. It works particularly well on upturned eyes, where the loop holds the fly and the line passes straight through with no kink. Downturned eyes tend to cock the fly slightly.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 23-09-14 at 11:46 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    That is the "more difficult way", for me, but the basics is 100%.
    When tying a knot, I tend to use all 10 fingers, which makes it much easier.
    sketch and photo SBS to follow.
    Along with all 10 fingers I tend to use my teeth as well
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 23-09-14 at 11:45 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12