Thread: The best fly rod ever

Default The best fly rod ever

I dont know about you guys, but I need to spend a lot of time with a rod before I really grow into it. As soon as I am forced to fish a certain rod constantly for a couple of months (it has happend because a rod broke or something similar) I really start to like it. It becomes like a sixth sense with a rod you have fished a lot. You feel takes better, you cast accurately and finally it starts feeling like an old friend.

So in my totally unqualified opinion I think many people make the mistake of having too many rods and not fishing any rod for a very long time. For me my best fly rod is the one that I know the best.

Does anybody else share my opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    For me my best fly rod is the one that I know the best.
    Correct - I agree with that
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Yes, I agree, however, again, I'm going to sound like a stuck record. The best rod, is the one that suits the application best. There are so many different kinds of fishing available in this country, that in order to do them properly, you need several rods. lets take fresh water rivers only. Yellowfish, depending on how you with to target them, will influence you rod choice. The rod that suits short line numphing for yellows, night not neccessarilly suit the guy who fishes with an indicator on a long cast, not might it suit the guy who wants to target largemouth from a boat. So there we already have three ywllowfish rods.
    Trout rivers, the guy who fished predominantly with small dry flies, wont choose the same rod that the guy who prefers to fish with nymphs would choose. Also someone who fishes mostly in Rhodes, might choose different rod to the guy who fishes the Cape streams. Now days you can find rods that are specifically geared towards different styles of fishing, and if you know what it is that the rod is meant to do, then its easy to choose the best one, and doesn't require much betting used to. The only getting used to a rod that needs to happen, is perhaps getting the most out of how the rod casts, but that can be learned in a few minutes.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I currently use one rod for all the above mentioned yellow fish fishing. And Im very happy with it. For me a rod for every single specific application is overkill - for other people it is fun.

You probably wont want to use one rod for small streams, the vaal and salt water, but I can easily just use 3 rods in total for those three.

Yes, one rod can do it, but the thread was about "the best rod", and if you want the best rod for each application, they don't overlap.
    I currently use one rod for all the above mentioned yellow fish fishing. And Im very happy with it. For me a rod for every single specific application is overkill - for other people it is fun.

You probably wont want to use one rod for small streams, the vaal and salt water, but I can easily just use 3 rods in total for those three.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

...like a sixth sense with a rod ...
    Yes the one with the Sixth Sense line on is always going to be the best...
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Yes the one with the Sixth Sense line on is always going to be the best...
    You're quite punny
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Saw this clip earlier Today and I really enjoyed it. Very well put together.

They even pulled out their Sunday vests and jackets to go fish.