Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act - 12 February 2014. - The End?

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Couple of things to consider:

1. Bass, trout and indigenous fish typically share the same rivers so in essence we would be funding Cape Nature to Rotenone our rivers and get rid of the species we all like to fish for.
    2. Cape Nature has no shortage of money to poison rivers. They do however seem to have a lack of funds (and interest) when it comes to protecting them from pollution, water abstraction, introduction of invasive species from inter-basin transfers, introduction of invasive species like sharptooth catfish from pet shops and poaching amongst other things.
    3. They have not demonstrated best scientific practice (according to their own EIA) in the rivers that they have already treated.
    4. Since when did biodiversity apply only to fish?
    5. They have not demonstrated good financial management so why should we give them more money?
    6. The second Rondegat treatment killed hundreds of indigenous fish and not a single bass. Justified?

so in short, I think it's a bad idea ;-)
    You have missed the point completely. All i am saying is that If they rely on the funds from this tax/levy, they cannot go and destroy the environments that generate that income so therefore by enforcing this levy you tie their hands wrt rotenoning those rivers with trout and bass, otherwise the money goes away and so does their job because it is a significant source of their funding. In effect it creates a balance that has to be adhered to for the benefit of Nature conservation, Businesses in the fly fishing industry, and the consumers of the industry, us the fly fishermen.

All the things you say are problems happening now and so there is a lot of work required to make it effective. Unfortunately everyone wants their lovely trout waters and their lovely trout shops, but without a control in place that prevents such drastic changes, it is always at risk of being pulled away. Put a control in place to maintain the balance and everyone's interest is conserved.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

what does fishing license fees / forestry fees (for the cape guys) etc currently get used for?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I think it is too small to be used effectively for anything.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

All licence fees (nationally) goes into the national fiscus.

So it is used for e-tolls and such :-)

Nkandhla.......
    Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    what does fishing license fees / forestry fees (for the cape guys) etc currently get used for?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    You have missed the point completely. All i am saying is that If they rely on the funds from this tax/levy, they cannot go and destroy the environments that generate that income so therefore by enforcing this levy you tie their hands wrt rotenoning those rivers with trout and bass, otherwise the money goes away and so does their job because it is a significant source of their funding. In effect it creates a balance that has to be adhered to for the benefit of Nature conservation, Businesses in the fly fishing industry, and the consumers of the industry, us the fly fishermen.

All the things you say are problems happening now and so there is a lot of work required to make it effective. Unfortunately everyone wants their lovely trout waters and their lovely trout shops, but without a control in place that prevents such drastic changes, it is always at risk of being pulled away. Put a control in place to maintain the balance and everyone's interest is conserved.
    Hi Grant,

I understood your point perfectly, I am just telling you in a nice way that it is idealistic and naive. Cape Nature is funded by our tax money. Their rotenone projects are funded by the World Bank and a couple of other donors and their is no shortage of money for these projects. What you are essentially saying is let's pay them a bribe and hopefully they won't destroy our rivers in return. They would either laugh in your face at the suggestion or rub their hands in glee at all the extra money they could spend. Until they can demonstrate decent leadership, proper financial control and scientific biodiversity, I am not that sure that I want to pay them another R7 for every spool of tippet I buy.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Haha! Cool man - we are so lucky to have your negativity to stamp out my naivety.

Well hopefully those that are trying to resolve this for the fly fishing community have a more positive plan.

If i have any more ideas i will be sure to post them here to give you something else to argue about.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Haha! Cool man - we are so lucky to have your negativity to stamp out my naivety.

Well hopefully those that are trying to resolve this for the fly fishing community have a more positive plan.

If i have any more ideas i will be sure to post them here to give you something else to argue about.
    You asked for thoughts (twice), and I shared mine. You don't have to agree with my point of view, just like I feel no obligation to agree with yours. One thing I have been, is actively involved in the process and dealt with the people involved over the years, which probably accounts for my informed "negative" opinion. It's easy to sit on the outside, do no research and propose that throwing some money at it will make it go away.

http://cdn3.cubiclebot.com/wp-conten...d-Opinions.gif
    Last edited by dlampert; 06-03-14 at 08:54 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    You asked for thoughts (twice), and I shared mine. You don't have to agree with my point of view, just like I feel no obligation to agree with yours. One thing I have been, is actively involved in the process and dealt with the people involved over the years, which probably accounts for my informed "negative" opinion. It's easy to sit on the outside, do no research and propose that throwing some money at it will make it go away.

http://cdn3.cubiclebot.com/wp-conten...d-Opinions.gif
    I am trying to match you with one of the cartoon characters, but I think, both is a good match to you.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

So what is your suggested solution Darryl? Be positive for a change if that is possible and let us know what you think might help us be able to fish for trout in the future?

If you are so well informed, and are not on the outside, tell us how we can help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast