Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little Troutbeck 14-16 Feb 2014

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    same thing same length...stuck to my same tapered 3x leader...just removed the mono tippet...added same length Sci Anglers fluoro 8lbs tippet...fish started the attack...fish on lol...I was fishing side by side wih John...serias...same casts and retrieves...he was into fish after fish...wenna's fly wasn't even getting a look...exact same still water damsel...I changed the day after and I started klapping the fish...think it had to do with the sink rate of the fly...
    Amazing conversion rate then - I have never found that by *just* switching from mono to fluoro to have such a profound effect.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

in the words of the new rainbow nation...ACANT BiELIEF!!! I am still so new to this whole thing Smallstreams I wish I could give a logical explanantion...If only I was armed with this info when I got there...sjo...might have gotten into one of those pigs that I saw time and time again...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Was fishing a floating line...quite alot of weeds underwater especially with summer weather I presume...was fishing the deep centre pockets in depths 2-4m. Still a teething fly fisherman so I am starting with floating lines. I will work my way to an intermediate shortly
    Nothing wrong with floating line! It's all I fish if the scenario allows… I would rather manage the depth of my fly by waiting a little longer or weight it more, than have to keep chopping and changing between intermediate and floating.

Will also take note of the Flouro… I also have never really noticed the difference; but I will try it anyways! Was it just the last 50cm "tippet" that was FLouro?
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Nothing wrong with floating line! It's all I fish if the scenario allows… I would rather manage the depth of my fly by waiting a little longer or weight it more, than have to keep chopping and changing between intermediate and floating.

Will also take note of the Flouro… I also have never really noticed the difference; but I will try it anyways! Was it just the last 50cm "tippet" that was FLouro?
    Yes james, I like to fish 12ft leader/tippet and no shorter than 10ft...I kept he fluoro leader at 2.5-3ft in length...the damsel together with the fluoro takes the whole line down quite nicely..it seems as if you get your tip to start falling first the rest of he line goes down quickly and its the tip of the thin mono leaders that tend to float best so you end up with your tip keeping the belly of the leader up there too long...tried washin'up liquid before heading into town...it helped slightly but the fish still wasn't interested...especially on the retrieve...the moment I started the slow retrieve the fly would pop to the surface....the moment I seemed to get the fly down for longer the fish started responding...

Like I said..I have no clue why they prefered this but it certainly helped for me...I also feel with fluoro and the main reason we use this for bass is for a more natural weightless presentation...anytime one sticks a weight on any lure it kills the action...so if you can keep a fly suspended at a certain depth for longer periods of times and present it more naturally and be in control of the lure like this I think it will be the ticket for even the most finicky of fish...

Just my bass and very limited trout experience 2c...or is that 4c...loooool

PS Just a tip : the science behind fluoro vs mono...one absorbs light the other reflects it...it's said that fluoro goes invisible...take the same piece of fluoro and match it in diameter with mono...drop both in a glass under or over some light...you won't tell the difference...the difference comes in line density...the one sinks, the other floats and fluoro has a lot less stretch...BUT although it's more corrosion resistant it does not like weak spots or nicks in a line...if you tangle your leader for whatever reason and find the slightest kink in your line...CHANGE IT..as you have just lost 80% of your line rating...even though you can't feel any sign of chafe with your fingers..that kink WILL burn you...and it won't give any warning when it does go...snapping a 17lb fluoro sounds like a gun shot....
    Last edited by emjaysmit; 20-02-14 at 11:39 AM.
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Yes james, I like to fish 12ft leader/tippet and no shorter than 10ft...I kept he fluoro leader at 2.5-3ft in length...the damsel together with the fluoro takes the whole line down quite nicely..it seems as if you get your tip to start falling first the rest of he line goes down quickly and its the tip of the thin mono leaders that tend to float best so you end up with your tip keeping the belly of the leader up there too long...tried washin'up liquid before heading into town...it helped slightly but the fish still wasn't interested...especially on the retrieve...the moment I started the slow retrieve the fly would pop to the surface....the moment I seemed to get the fly down for longer the fish started responding...

Like I said..I have no clue why they prefered this but it certainly helped for me...I also feel with fluoro and the main reason we use this for bass is for a more natural weightless presentation...anytime one sticks a weight on any lure it kills the action...so if you can keep a fly suspended at a certain depth for longer periods of times and present it more naturally and be in control of the lure like this I think it will be the ticket for even the most finicky of fish...

Just my bass and very limited trout experience 2c...or is that 4c...loooool

PS Just a tip : the science behind fluoro vs mono...one absorbs light the other reflects it...it's said that fluoro goes invisible...take the same piece of fluoro and match it in diameter with mono...drop both in a glass under or over some light...you won't tell the difference...the difference comes in line density...the one sinks, the other floats and fluoro has a lot less stretch...BUT although it's more corrosion resistant it does not like weak spots or nicks in a line...if you tangle your leader for whatever reason and find the slightest kink in your line...CHANGE IT..as you have just lost 80% of your line rating...even though you can't feel any sign of chafe with your fingers..that kink WILL burn you...and it won't give any warning when it does go...snapping a 17lb fluoro sounds like a gun shot....
    Will defo's give the Flouro a bash on the nymphs and damsels this weekend, heading to a farm about 2km's from Little Troutbeck; so hopefully it is cool enough for one or two fish!
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Shofo...having a doubt use a olive still water damsel...the bigger the doubt the bigger the damsel loooool...there is also a dry fly that rapes the fish and I have no idea what it's called...I will take a pic and send it to you tonight...inbox me your number James then it will make sending easier...like John says those dams aren't very prone to the bigger clouser type fly's...they do work and I guess they do have their place but success on smaller morsells really works a charm and account for the majority of fish...I am not sure about the color but I know that John used a buzzer dropper behind the damsel at one stage and that's when he got into two fish at once....

I just fished the damsel by letting it sink a fair amount..then just rotated with a constant figure of eight followed by very short slow strips sort of 3cm at a time...when it gets to where my gut says a fish might be watching I let it die...give three or four seconds and then slow down almost to a relaxed heart beat tempo of stripping...it sound silly but quiet yourself down...relax and strip a fly to the rythm of you heart beat...it's a super fun way to get you to relax and also get you into fish....by doing this your senses are so tuned in to quiet yourself down to try and get in tune with what your heart beat is doing that you feel every little thing that happens to your fly...just remember to breath every now and then...I have noticed when I start I hold my breath till I feel my heart beating...exhale and just keep up with the rythm you are tuned in with...

Please guys don't judge this..it really works...something I tought myself fishing 30ft depths with weightless lures in the dead of winter...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12