Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hillcrest Estate - Durbanville

Default Hillcrest Estate - Durbanville

So swambo sends me a mail to tell me to check out Hillcrest Estate's website and that they offer fishing for R75 per person with no extra charge for fish caught.

They have carp, bass and trout in the quarry.

Has anyone fished there before and if so, what was the fishing like?
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by KB280DT View Post
    So swambo sends me a mail to tell me to check out Hillcrest Estate's website and that they offer fishing for R75 per person with no extra charge for fish caught.

They have carp, bass and trout in the quarry.

Has anyone fished there before and if so, what was the fishing like?
    I tried there once..When I first started going for trout.. I wasn't that clued up at the time, but didn't see any fish come out.. I would like to give it a try when next I'm in CT, but what I didn't like, is you could not go in before 9am... bit ridiculous for fishing....
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

i have only been once and got some small bass.beleive craig from stream x got some trout there.nice spot for family with braai area next to water.can imagine it can get quite crowded tho...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Thanks Ryan. Being an old quarry, I'm sure that the fishing should be interesting and probably quite difficult as well. I think that you'll have to go down quite deep for the fish ?? From the photos on their website there seems to be rainbow trout present

It's going to cost me R100 for the day for me and swambo, plus I can take the Cobb Cooker with, so it seems that you can make a nice day of it if anything else

Hopefully someone else here can shed some more light on fishing at Hillcrest for the two of us
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Thanks Stephen
    André

Fly fishing noob

Speak to Sean Mills. He clapped 50 bass there yesterday
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Hill crest is great for catching largemouth bass, sight fishing. The trout are difficult to catch. I don't try for them because the bass are so much fun. They like surface flies or very slow sinking ones that hang in the water, taunting them. My Friz fry works brilliantly in #6. It is like a woolhead mullet but tied out of H2O friz fiber. There are some big bass but they are very difficult to tempt.

Hope this helps
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

Thanks Sean,

So it would seem not worthwhile going for the trout then?

what about the other species? Carp, barbel, etc.
    André

Fly fishing noob

Awesome, didn't know about this place, have added to my list and will be visiting there soon!

Thanks!
    Fishing the Western Cape waters.. Fly Waters
    A Cape Town Blog by Chris M.. iMod.co.za

I went there earlier in the year and got popped by a monster trout. There are clean toilets for ladies and gents and braai spots, so for a family day it's nice and it's safe. You have to be carefull with small kids as the sides are very steep and sheer in places. There is enough area for you to get a decent cast in. but as Sean says the bass are enough to keep you occupied so fishing close in is stunning. I fished a sinking line for the trout as the place is deep. Worth a look and if nothing else.....a good day can be had. The gate key must be collected from the restaurant when I went and they opened at 8.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast