Thread: Uilenkraal leeries?

Default Uilenkraal leeries?

Hi all
    I will be in gansbaai this weekend and I was just wondering if anyone has fished the uilenkraal estuary and if there are any leeries there. It looks small so I would guess if there are they will be juvies but thats cool. I will probably just spend my time on rock and surf but before I do that I would like to find out if its worth taking a fly rod
    Thanks
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Hi all,

That is one spot I have never considered, it will be interesting information indeed... Maybe also check the saltwater angling report on FOSAF website, they might have news... (If you have not already done that and drew a blank)

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

I didn't really fish the estuary and only flicked a fly for half an hour at low tide. I suspect there will be small leeries there at high. It is a very healthy looking small estuary.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Isnt Uilenkraals mond a marine reserve? as far as I know, there is no fishing allowed at all.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The reserve starts on the far side of the mouth but you are allowed to fish. What is not allowed is bait collection. Basically like De Mond. The Estuary itself is not part of the reserve but forms the boundary.

Oh...ok then.. good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    The reserve starts on the far side of the mouth but you are allowed to fish. What is not allowed is bait collection. Basically like De Mond. The Estuary itself is not part of the reserve but forms the boundary.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.