Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would Tenkara work on the Vaal?

Default Would Tenkara work on the Vaal?

I have been thinking this over for quite some time now......
    Do you really need a 9ft or 10ft 5/6 wt with a reel to match to catch Yellows on the Vaal?
    Would it be possible to catch Yellows on a Tenkara in the Vaal.

Let me describe Tenkara as simple as possible. You have a rod of lets say 12 or 13ft with piece of braid attached to the tip of the rod called a Lillian. Then you attach a braided leader of the same length as the rod to the Lillian and to the tip of the braid you attach your tippet.

Now we all know that it's a mission to land a fish thats foul hooked even on a fly rod.

So the question remains, would one be able to land a Yellow on only 18-23ft of line that is attached to the tip of a rod? Now obviously doing this you would add strain to the rod, so you need to fish a tippet that would break before the rod breaks. So lets make it 13ft of braid and then add 5ft of 6lb line to the braid.

Is this something that would be possible? Would one be able to land fish in the 2-3kg class? Even if by mistake you foul hook one? Would that 6lb last? Would you be able to turn that fish even if you set the hook clean in it's mouth?

I look forward to your replies.

No reason why it shouldn't work. although a Tenkara rod is too light to throw the heavier flies that most yellowfish require. Regarding the technique of Tenkara, in principal it should work. If you look at Czech nymphing... there are similarities to Tenkara, so provided that you can get past the difficulties in fishing for yellows without allowing him any space to run, and the light rod and light flies, you might hook a few. When he takes off on a storming run... he's going to break either the rod or the line though....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

On 6lb, with nowhere for the fish to run but in circles around you? Yes, but you're going to end up decorating a lot of fish with unnecessary mouth bling and forget it if you either foul hook a fish or if, like yellows often do, you hook a fish and it turns and runs downstream. The (middle) Vaal and the fish in it (like it used to be up to say, 5 years ago), is too big for Tenkara with consistent results in my view.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Nice to meet you on Saturday Koos, and some very intersting gear you had there! The tenkara did not convince me. Im sure you will land some fish - as sometimes the yellows tend to just swim around you in a pool. But like scythe says - when they really take off I think you wont be able to hold on to any fish over 2kgs.

If you fish the places that small schools hang out in you will probably have more fun/success.

Cheers

Tiaan

P.S. also since I dont like cz nymphing at all I think tenkara is a bit too close to that for me, you saw on saturday with the upstream nymphing I caught enough fish to keep me satisfied.

Also I used to foul hook way more fish when I did cz style nymphing - probably due to my own bad technique. But I absolutely despise foul hooking and with the upstream nymphing although I miss fish I nearly never foul hook. The Tenkara seemed like it might have the same issue?

Blog Entries

This week-end I was in Parys - fishing was slow and the river seriously dirty.
    I managed to hook this guy just above a very long set of rapids.
    Although not a massive fish by any standards it headed straight into the rapids and down river.
    For the first time in about 3 years I saw the backing on my reel again and was made to take a bit of a swim downstream after the fish.
    Sure you will land fish on Tenkara but you will definitely lose the fish of a lifetime.

Smallmouth Yellowfish 44.jpg

7. Default

Taking into consideration what Tenkara was designed for, I doubt it will be suitable as a rod for the Vaal. Maybe other smaller streams with yellows in, but the Vaal mostly has too much running room imho.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Although not a massive fish by any standards it headed straight into the rapids and down river.
    For the first time in about 3 years I saw the backing on my reel again and was made to take a bit of a swim downstream after the fish.
    Sure you will land fish on Tenkara but you will definitely lose the fish of a lifetime.

WOW, beautiful fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post

Waar en met wat hy jy hom gevang???? ;-)
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Waar en met wat hy jy hom gevang???? ;-)
    Smallmouth Yellowfish 4.jpg

Not telling.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast