Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Would Tenkara work on the Vaal?

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Koos
    when Jiri Klima was in SA, he fished with 4x tippet, his rule of thumb was that the nymphs must be weighted, and the tippet so thin not to hinder the sinking of the nymphs. For "normal" CZ nymphing, the weight of the nymphs should be not heavier than what the tip of the fly fly could keep floating in the feeding zone. I recall, how he outfished a very good Vaal river fisherman 3 to 1, fishing from the same honey hole.
    he fishing the lighter and thinner tippets and the local the heavier thicker tippet. Was an awesome sight.
    Korrie, I do recall a thread where you have mentioned that you fished a 3wt and lighter tippet at one of your Master Classes and that you were pleasantly surprised with the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Korrie, I do recall a thread where you have mentioned that you fished a 3wt and lighter tippet at one of your Master Classes and that you were pleasantly surprised with the end result.
    That is correct, one or 2 of the guys did mention, if you caught the "fish of a life time" you will loose it.
    I think that is the paradox, that some dont understand. If you go and fish for the big fish, you go heavier, if you go and fish for a fun day, challenging yourself with light rod and tippet, then use light setups.
    Someone like Gerrit, who fish for the big fish, will go bigger rod and heavier tippet, than another who wants to see what he can do with a #3.
    Some prefer big fish and big water, then you need the equipment for that. Other prefer big water with light outfits. What ever gives you enjoyment.
    IF tackling LM yellows with Tenkara, gives you joy, go for it. 3 months down the line, you might say, WOW, what a fantastic journey and I am loving it, or NO, it is not what I thought it would be.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Koos
    when Jiri Klima was in SA, he fished with 4x tippet, his rule of thumb was that the nymphs must be weighted, and the tippet so thin not to hinder the sinking of the nymphs. For "normal" CZ nymphing, the weight of the nymphs should be not heavier than what the tip of the fly fly could keep floating in the feeding zone. I recall, how he outfished a very good Vaal river fisherman 3 to 1, fishing from the same honey hole.
    he fishing the lighter and thinner tippets and the local the heavier thicker tippet. Was an awesome sight.
    I agree. I have always used and advocated good 4X tippet for the Vaal. 5 & 6 X is not amiss on smaller streams for yellows.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Gary
    I know you are one of the few guys who fish lighter.
    Once you master the techniques with lighter, you get much more confident to catch bigger fish.

Once in a while you will get one of the SM yellows that will take off on the feel of the fly, that will snap a 10 pound line let alone a 4,5 pound, but that is the beauty of the SM yellows.

In the French nymphing and extended Czech French nymphing part of the Nymphing Master Class, the participants regularly catch SM yellows on 7x of up to 2,5 pounds.

It is all about the right tackle for the right conditions and the fish you are targeting. No use trying to land a 8 pounder on 7x in areas with lots of rocks etc.
    Last edited by Korrie; 25-02-14 at 05:14 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Agreed. Personally I would not use 6 or 7X on the Vaal, but 5X is appropriate in some situations. Due to their power and size, I don't use 7X at all for smallmouth yellows.
    I appreciate that they can be caught on 7X, but see no need to do so.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Gary, I agree with you, you dont need to go down to that fine tippet.
    Water color dont require it, and SM are not that leader shy.

What is great for me, is when I do get to the Vaal, is to do sight fishing or blind prospecting to suitable lies, to SM in wide flat shallow sections, on the French or Cz-French nymph styles. Then I will go down to 6 or 7x, just for the fun and chanllenge. The fish are normally not the big busses, but between 1 and 2,5 pounds.
    It is not a numbers games or sizes.
    More of a challenge facet of fishing.
    Late afternoon, it also provide the odd dry fly sport as well
    Korrie Broos

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345