Thread: New to the forum

Default New to the forum

Hi guys so as it says above I'm new to the forum. I've just got back from a weekend up at Sterkfontein and managed to puzzle the last stupid yellow out of the dam. Needless to say it has got me hooked again and so now I'm on a mission to glean every bit of info and advice on catching these fish that I can, especially in the KZN midlands.
    Tight lines
    Jonty

Firstly welcome to the forum Jonty.

Secondly well done on your fish from Sterkies. Any pics of the fish ?

Lastly, there are quite a few members on here from KZN, some of them in the Midlands. I am sure that they will be in touch soon.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Welcome Jonty,

Trust you will enjoy it here and share your experiences with other forumers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393444892.559239.jpg
    Not a pig but awesome to watch it smoke a terrestrial as the light was fading

Are there any other waters which guys know of where yellows can be targeted on the surface like sterkies?

Welcome Jonty!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Lots of yellows waters Jonty. Sterkies is quite unique from what I can gather, what comes to mind is Taung and Calitzdorp, not in the same league as Sterkies, but bigger stillwaters with clearer water. Some of the other forumers will be more experienced in this department.

And then the yellows eat on top in the rivers as well.

Well just to correct fish:

Sterkfontein is the 3rd largest dam in South Africa.

Taung by comparison is minute due to it's positioning in a gorge, and isn't worth fishing anymore.

Fish, can you give more information on the Calitzdorp dam?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Some dams are big in capacity and other big in surface area.
    Whilst a dam like Sterkfontein will have a capacity of 2616 million c metres and the Vaaldam only 2603 there is a massive difference in surface area due to some dams being a lot shallower.
    For instance - the surface area of Sterkfontein covers 67km square compared to 322km square of the Vaal dam - a massive difference.

I think however - help me if I am wrong - that the standard for measuring dam size is in fact capacity as opposed to surface area.

But yes, Sterkfontein in surface area can fit almost 5 times into the Vaal.
    Sterfonteins dam wall though is 30 meters higher than that of the Vaal Dam.

I am not sure ig the depth of a dam plays a critical factor in the clarity of the water. It probably has something more to do with the water entering the dam, the path the water follows as well as the dam surface - I just don't know. You can however have fantastic sight fishing for yellows on smaller shallower dams. Some of the best sight fishing I have had for yellows were in the Ermelo/Amsterdam area.