Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daphnia Feeders

Default Daphnia Feeders

It would be interesting to hear which fly you guys regard as a good imitation for daphnia feeding trout. Also what is your experiences with daphnia feeding fish.

Cheers,

Philip

bought a bunch of daphnia and swambo wanted to wear the superman suite
    sorry phil. not the answer you wanted. needed to give you *** though
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Would be very interested in this, as the last time we went out we didnt catch any trout for two full days! We even tough that the prolific bass population had wiped them all out. On the last day for the last hour, we trolled around with some crank baits (rapalas) out the back of the boat and caught 3!!!!! After we spooned them we found out that they were full of tiny daphnia!!

... Maybe try a mudler minow..?

On quiet days where I haven't had a touch on anything, I've tried a Marabou Muddler with an orange wing and have ended up catching a fish or 2. On pumping their stomachs I've normally found them to be full of daphnia, and as a result the orange muddler is my go-to fly when I suspect the fish are homed in on Daphnia.

I don't think its really the pattern itself, but more the orange in the wing. Have been thinking of what could be a better pattern to imitate a herd of daphnia, perhaps just a clump of orange marabou palmered around a hook ?

I agree with Shaun, orange a trigger colour. Also grene is good - the 'Leprechaun' (old English reservoire green Matuka-style streamer) is good alternatively a green version of a Muddler fished slowly at the appropriate depth

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    It would be interesting to hear which fly you guys regard as a good imitation for daphnia feeding trout. Also what is your experiences with daphnia feeding fish.

Cheers,

Philip
    helluvu busy today - will post a fly tonight for you phillip. very good daphnia fly
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I've always used an orange aid for those dog days in mpumalanga when the trout are either keyed in on daphnia or floating snails and it seems to work reasonably well.
    Check your knots!

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

I would suggest a Digger's Red based on what I read in the article by Malcolm Meintjes in Issue 147 February 2007 of TCFF magazine. I am affraid thats about all I know about daphnia.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    helluvu busy today - will post a fly tonight for you phillip. very good daphnia fly
    Mario
    Any chance that you could show us your dafnia fly?
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Glans View Post
    Mario
    Any chance that you could show us your dafnia fly?
    Yup, I would love to see it as well, Mario.

Last edited by ChaplinHarris; 06-11-17 at 05:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast