Thread: Riffies, runs, glides, vs Pools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Riffies, runs, glides, vs Pools

Here in the Cape, a lot stream fly fishers, that I have talked to, most of the time, walk past the pools and fish the riflles, runs, glides etc.
    Because they love the "streams" and the pools, well, it is almost like "stillwaters, ponds".

How many of the forumers are similar in their fishing habits?
    How much time do you spend on the pools?
    Do you fish the pools extensively?
    Or just a glancing cast, incase there is something that you see or might be cruising around?

I have to admit, I use to be like that, until a couple of seasons ago. I started concentrating more and more on the pools.
    Having read a lot of about the San river, the joys of fishing in this "almost still water"
    Enjoying the fun that it offer, the different challenges.
    I am not talking about pulling a wooly bugger thru it, but sight nymphing with micro nymphs #18, 20 or #22), or tiny dries, both with ultra thin tippets (8 or 9x)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I have to say, that unless there some visible action going down.. I tend to focus very little on the pools. Much prefer runs and pockets.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Most beats in Rhodes have this, perhaps not as large as some of the pools on the SB, but then again the Kraai and Sterk has some big enough to tube. If you can sightfish they are awesome to fish.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The problem is how do you present the fly?
    I remember my last time I fished a crystal clear pool I just dropped my nymph right in the middle as it seemed there is no fish anywhere, and out of nowhere came a huge trout to attack the fly, absolutely thrilling as you could see the action coming from far away.

I tend to focus on the heads of the pools where the rapids enter the pool. Found these to be the most productive spots in the river. Usually spend about 20-30 minutes fishing the head of the pool before moving up-stream. On my way to the next pool, I would fish any promising looking spot in the rapids and/or glide. If it is big pool, I will usually cover the pool by means of a few casts at other likely looking spots in the pool. But smaller pools generally see me fishing only the heads of these.

That is what is so great about river fishing. You generally get the best of all worlds.

http://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.c...w/micro_dries/
    take 10 minutes to read this, it will help your fly fishing.
    For those stuck in an upstream dry fly fishing mode, READ.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Korrie for me it is no about being "stuck" in an approach, it is about fishing in the way I enjoy most.

If conditions don't allow me to fish they way I prefer I might try something else but majority of the time I will give it a skip. If I am not finding pleasure in the way I am fishing then it is all kind of pointless for me.

Not sure if that make sense but it's might 2c!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Korrie for me it is no about being "stuck" in an approach, it is about fishing in the way I enjoy most.

If conditions don't allow me to fish they way I prefer I might try something else but majority of the time I will give it a skip. If I am not finding pleasure in the way I am fishing then it is all kind of pointless for me.

Not sure if that make sense but it's might 2c!
    Matt
    I agree with you, no use to doing a way if it does not give enjoyment.

For me, when I started, fly fishing and a good many years on, all that you heard was "Upstream dry fly". you thought that is the only way to fish.
    Then I discovered nymphing (in so many different ways and styles), wet fly, streamer, that complete new worlds of enjoyment opened up.
    Some of these different styles, were not easy to master, but once mastered, it gave me so much enjoyment, that it actually exceeds the "normal upstream dry fly"
    For those, who are "Upstream dry fly aficionados", GREAT, for other, there are other styles, which gives them pleasure. Sometimes, all that is needed, is a door that is opened at a tiny way or maybe just a light for them to see there are other ways that will provide enjoymnet
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Good read. I used to have a fishing companion with a similar approach. He would always fish downstream from, or "behind" me, working water where I have already been. He very often got fish from likely looking spots that I had obviously not fished properly. He never gloated, no need....hehe...it was obvious he was the better fly fisherman.

I really have done very little dry fly fishing. I mostly find myself using small dark or olive colored nymphs. So I think maybe this should change...mmmm.....maybe...we will see