Thread: Orvis rods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Orvis rods

Hi Guys,

Tried posting in the rods section but was not able to so I am trying here instead, sorry.

I am looking for a new rod. Currently I have an old Stealth Deep Red 9w. I do enjoy the rod, just doesnt feel as good as I remember it being though. Possibly I have changed actions or style or something is out. Plus a section has quite a split in it which causes the rod to come apart at times.

I have had a look around here and the preferred rods are great but just far too much for me. Used a Sage and a Hardy many years ago and remember how good they felt. I have also now seen a lot of guys building their own.

is there anyone who uses the Orvis range? Can anyone vouch for their performance, feel and quality? Are they worth a look?

Hi Smallie,

I use a Orvis Clearwater 2 rod in a 9 ft 5 wt for my Vaal yellowfishing & trout fishing.

It is a "Tipflex", which is a fast action rod. I have not had any problems with the rod, it feels good, loads quickly and easily, casting is accurate and it has good backbone for fighting yellows in fast water. Also the build quality is very good, it has a deep blue finish with an aluminium reel seat & blue carbon fibre look insert. Lastly it comes with a 25 year warranty, which for the Vaal is not bad! However you will need to pay the shipping costs to get it to the USA..

All in all a very good rod, I would gladly recommend this rod to anyone.

Best Regards

Jaco

It comes with a

Hi Jaco. Thank you for the feedback. I like the sound of that rod!

I fish a Helios, however wouldn't risk it on the Vaal.

With regards to warranty, i've 'broken' 6 rods, (4 in car doors) and have had the rods taken to the Orvis shop in Dover Street, London. Here they replace them with the latest model for a 10 Pound fee. I started with a Zero Gravity, and got a Helios as my replacement, so I an not complaining!
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I fish a Helios, however wouldn't risk it on the Vaal.

With regards to warranty, i've 'broken' 6 rods, (4 in car doors) and have had the rods taken to the Orvis shop in Dover Street, London. Here they replace them with the latest model for a 10 Pound fee. I started with a Zero Gravity, and got a Helios as my replacement, so I an not complaining!
    it seems that you are working with a plan to keep on track with the latest models.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Smallie View Post
    Hi Guys,

Tried posting in the rods section but was not able to so I am trying here instead, sorry.

I am looking for a new rod. Currently I have an old Stealth Deep Red 9w. I do enjoy the rod, just doesnt feel as good as I remember it being though. Possibly I have changed actions or style or something is out. Plus a section has quite a split in it which causes the rod to come apart at times.

I have had a look around here and the preferred rods are great but just far too much for me. Used a Sage and a Hardy many years ago and remember how good they felt. I have also now seen a lot of guys building their own.

is there anyone who uses the Orvis range? Can anyone vouch for their performance, feel and quality? Are they worth a look?
    Orvis make good rods. Like Sage and Hardy, they have a range of rods that vary in price. A Helios 2 will set you back around R8k or R9k which is equivalent to the top end Sage and Hardy rods. If you are looking for a reasonably priced rod then have a look at the TFO's ...
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Smallie View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have fished an Orvis for 13 years, first with a Trident TLS and now with an Access, which is their mid range rod - I think about R4,5k, depending on the exchange rate. The guarantee is really good, I have broken two on the Vaal and on both occasions just took them Mavungana, they send them back for you, the postage was about R600 last time. For the price, super quality, and they cast as well as my hacking allows them to.

Thanks Guys.

I was looking at having one brought over for me, was an option for a gift. I know its a recognised and older brand abd most write ups are good. Asking the people who use them is the important part of it though.

Cheers.