Thread: Stillwater Nymphing Techniques and Flies

Default Stillwater Nymphing Techniques and Flies

Hi all,

I was curious as to what techniques and flies are the members of the forum finding most productive.

I have experimented on several occasions with different set-ups and flies to no avail.

In terms of techniques and experience can you please offer advise on:

1 - How do you connect your multiple flies to the tippet? i.e. in-line meaning tippet to hook-eye and then from the hook bend to next fly or creating droppers for each fly.

2 - If using droppers what length is your tags normally?

3 - Length of leaders, is it dependent on the depth that the fish are feeding at or the depth of the water that you are fishing?

4 - Distance between flies?

5 - Arrangement of flies? i.e. heaviest fly as point and lighter flies as you middle and top dropper in the case of fishing a tri-rig.

6 - Effectiveness of using three flies versus two flies?

7 - Length from the butt of the leader to where the strike indicator is situated?

8 - For nymphing fluorocarbon vs monofilament?

9 - What retrieves are most effective with which flies, or should I fish the rig static or experiment with a combination.

10 - From your stillwater experience effective combinations of flies that can be used.

I would really appreciate any advice/guidance on this subject.

Regards

Why dont you tell us your favourite too.

Here are my answers:

1 - How do you connect your multiple flies to the tippet? i.e. in-line meaning tippet to hook-eye and then from the hook bend to next fly or creating droppers for each fly.
    I only use 1 fly

I only use 1 fly

3 - Length of leaders, is it dependent on the depth that the fish are feeding at or the depth of the water that you are fishing?
    The fly line used is more important to me for fishing different depths

I only use 1 fly

5 - Arrangement of flies? i.e. heaviest fly as point and lighter flies as you middle and top dropper in the case of fishing a tri-rig.
    I only use 1 fly

I only use 1 fly

7 - Length from the butt of the leader to where the strike indicator is situated?
    Changes depending in how deep i want to fish

Flouro

9 - What retrieves are most effective with which flies, or should I fish the rig static or experiment with a combination.
    Strike Indicator - no retrieve
    No Strike indicator - vary it to find what they want

10 - From your stillwater experience effective combinations of flies that can be used.
    I only use 1 fly
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Hi all,

I was curious as to what techniques and flies are the members of the forum finding most productive.

I have experimented on several occasions with different set-ups and flies to no avail.

Regards

somewhere on the forum, there is a very comprehensive thread, highlighting all your questions, with answers,
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Hi all,

Regards
    1. Droppers using a double surgeons knot with a single overhand knot to help the tag stand away from the main line
    2. Between 10 - 15cm
    3. 15 - 25ft depending on flies and wind. I mainly fish off a float tube and will sometimes cast into the wind. Depth I usually control with fly line choice.
    4. Between 3 - 6ft
    5. Heaviest usually on point as it aids casting and lessens tangles.
    6. If fishing streamers I will fish 2 flies otherwise usually 3. Sometimes a single fly like an unweighted damsel or neutral density dragon.
    7. If fishing an indicator, anything from 3ft to max length that you can get away with without having a fish on your point fly and the indicator stuck in the tip top ;-)
    8. I only use mono as I find fluorocarbon breaks too easily on the take.
    9. Everything from static to saltwater strip - depends on what the fish want
    10. Try an egg pattern on first dropper, unweighted PTN on second dropper and a soft hackle with a small bead (2mm) on point. Very slow figure 8 retrieve on a slow intermediate or hover line.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes