Thread: Total Convert

Default Total Convert

Hey guys I was recently introduced to the sport of fly fishing by a good mate of mine , let me tell you I was very sceptical when he got rid of all his bass equipment and started fly fishing.

After many a discussion of how I think he is stupid for getting rid of his bass equipment and that its a phase ,I eventually was hoodwinked int to going with him ,He took me to a little place called Horseshoe in sabie . We got there at about 1 pm he rigged up a rod and reel for me and said , 12 o clock 2 o clock and keem your wrist straight , I found the casting to be a bit weird at first but soon got the hang of it and on my first attempt at shooting the line was taken by a 700g rainbow , and subsequently both my 2nd 3rd and 4 th cast produced fish.

We then proceded to the trophy dam about 20 m away from the commercial dam , on my first cast i got hooked up again to a small rainbow .
    we proceded to fish untull about 3 pm when i hooked up a monster , as i was used to bass fishing I proceded to try and man handle the fish out by the line alone , this thing was running all over the place , I locked up the reel to try and stop it , to that dreadfull sound of line snapping , I was very dissapointed and told my friend that he did not tie the knot properly , to witch he replied , you are not bass fishing your line is only 3 kg breaking strain , I told him that he was a twit and could have mentioned something before, he was laughing so hard at that time that it took a while for me to get him to tie on a new one.

I must say that I have never experienced something so direc as on a fly rod , and I thank him for introducing me to the sport.
    I am totally hooked , Reel , backing and leader
    I hope to learn more about this new addiction of mine!!!!!

Regards Leo

Welcome! From one Leo to another haha.
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Quote Originally Posted by leo1357 View Post
    Welcome! From one Leo to another haha.
    Thanks hey lol

Welcome... Hope you find all the necessary goodies to fuel your addiction here!
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Lekker man lekker...en daar verwoes ek jou lewe weer met nog vistokke loooool....een van die dae is ons vrouloos gevang hahahahaha...bly jy geniet dit my ou vriend...my vlieg vang koors het my lelik en dit raak erger by die dag....
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...