Thread: Favorite venue

Default Favorite venue

What is your favourite venue for trout in South Africa ? and Why?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    What is your favourite venue for trout in South Africa ? and Why?
    Stream/River or Stillwater?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Stream/River or Stillwater?
    I would say that its up to you which ever you prefer , I myself prefer still water as I have limited experience in streams or rivers.

4. Default

Rivers/Streams:
    Upper Bell, Upper Bokspruit, Coldbrook, Bamboeshoekspruit, 3 Drifts, Lotheni, Willowstream/Vlooikraalspruit

Stillwaters (limited experience):
    Highland Lodge, Glencoe, and an old farm dam on the other side of Naude's Nek that managed to always produce 6lbs brown trout before it's wall washed away a few years ago. Then there is another nameless dam just outside Dordrecht that has some amazing fishing for large trout too.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Great thanks for the reply .

I only have experience with still water trout fishing in the Drakensberg at Cathedral peak.

Would like to fish the Cape Mountain streams.

PS. When does the cape streams close?
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Lilydale.A true south african venue.Sightfishing with dries to yellows in often gin clear waters.Does not get much beter than that.
    Trout:Bell/klopperhoekspruit

I am yet to find a favorite, strange to say this after several years of fishing with the fly, I favor certain kinds of fishing like for instance prefer flowing water to stagnant water, but stillwater still intrigues me, I have fished many places and each has a special bit about it. I prefer trying to go to new venues and always say I will go back to just try a new venue and maybe never find my way back.

How do one choose a favorite if there are several more places to try..
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

I am burning to fish in the cape in any of the streams there , as for my favourite venue I have none due to not having been a fly fisher for long .hence my question .
    As I stay in Nelspruit I am not to far from Sabie , Lydenburg and Dullstroom so to remedy the situation i need to get out and about . River fishing the crocodile or the Komati for yellows and tiger are out for the time being due to the heavy rainfall.