Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step by step fly-tying instructions

Default Step by step fly-tying instructions

Just to satisfy my own curiosity do you think that there is still a "market" for sbs on forums,internet,etc or are you competent enough to just tie from a recipe/dressing or you couldn't be bothered if it's there or not?

Groente
    Gerrit Viljoen

When I am tying new saltwater flies I like to have a SBS. Trout flies most of the time I am not bothered.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Generally speaking a Recipe is all I need for most flies. But! and it is a big but. I do enjoy seeing a good well constructed S B S and I'm sure Beginners will appreciate a S B S. They were not about when I started fly tying and some of my early attempts were a wonder to behold but bore no resemblance to the fly they were intended to imitate. The advent of the internet has sure changed a lot of things and fly tying was one of them. Have Fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Ya I agree. When I started they were an absolute ***send. Especially the videos.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Blog Entries

I love them...use an SBS to iron out any little problems as you build the fly and at the same time learn new techniques and tricks. FT used to have a healthly supply at one stage, then they dried out..
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I find them useful for new patterns that have techniques I haven't used, lately if I see a fly in the fly shop I like, I'll buy one, de construct it if needed, and then tie them up from there.

I love to follow the photos. read the steps.
    I might not follow it when I tie the fly, but I really enjoy it.
    although it is a bit of a b!tch to write up and photograph.
    The X factor dry fly SBS, I did, I dont think would be possible to tie without a SBS.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

S B S's has its place in the FF fraternity for sure, granted that with a picture or example or recipe a accomplished fly construction engineer() can reconstruct a fly for a beginner it teaches the fly tying thinking and logic. Not necessarily always technique but the logic.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

9. Default

SBS for me is sometimes more about a technique used in the pattern than the actual A, B, C of it. Very useful from that perspective for me.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I think sbs tutorials are invaluable in learning how to construct certain flies or just learn a certain technique whether you're new to tying or not. Yes, by just following a well typed out recipe the tier eventually don't make use of a sbs anymore but from personal experience (to this day) if I hadn't had the luxury of online, book,etc tutorials I wouldn't have been able to experiment or practice that very same fly or technique making the possibility to eventually design something of your own very difficult.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 20-03-14 at 07:55 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast