Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Infinity 3wt 10'

Default Stealth Infinity 3wt 10'

I picked up one of these today in a shop and gave it a wiggle.I know this doesnt usually mean much until you have actually fished and casted with it.
    This rod,to me,feels very tip heavy,although its the first 10 footer ive ever picked up.Do all 10 footers feel tip heavy?
    The reel i will be using is a sage click 2 reel which is 2.8oz without line or backing.

I fished with mentioned rod, for a couple of years, lovely rod. Cant go wrong with it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Yes the 10footers are tip heavy.

so you should use a heavier reel to balance the rod.

Not all ten footers fee tip heavy, but this rod definatly does feel this way. Its a lovely rod, but don't expect to pick it up and cast a mile, its going to take you some time to get used to it, but as a fishing tool, its a nice stick. It can cast an obscenely long leader quite adequately...
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    I picked up one of these today in a shop and gave it a wiggle.I know this doesnt usually mean much until you have actually fished and casted with it.
    This rod,to me,feels very tip heavy,although its the first 10 footer ive ever picked up.Do all 10 footers feel tip heavy?
    The reel i will be using is a sage click 2 reel which is 2.8oz without line or backing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Once you put a reel on it, you'll fall in-love with the rod. Really is a great stick.
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Yes the 10footers are tip heavy.

so you should use a heavier reel to balance the rod.
    When compared to shorter rods, the 10ft rods obviously have more weight further up the rod, since they are longer and will feel tip heavy.
    To balance the longer rods, you need to use a heavier reel. The Click 2 is fine on a 8ft 3wt, but will not balance a 10ft rod.

The 10ft 3wt infinity is the best value 10ft 3wt out there and can handle smallstream SM too.
    I love mine.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Lovely rods, if I had application for them, I'd definately buy them.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

I agree with Gary the Click will be too light and you'll end up with tennis elbow. A reel that balances the rod will make the casting more pleasant and accurate.

I use a Sage Click on my 10 foot 2 wt ESN, and a Danielsen midge on my ESN 10 foot 3wt, and they are fine, I don't think the balance is a problem, and definatly no tennis elbow. Stream fishing doesn't require the casting that would cause tennis elbow anyway, its a poor casting stroke and technique that would cause tennis elbow, not an incorrectly balanced outfit. 10 foot stream rods are cast using a flick of the tip, and not a full arm action such as you would use for full line casting. If it were a 5wt 10 footer, I would say, sure, reel to rod balance is more important, but for a stream outfit, its just a matter of getting used to the different feel of the more tip heavy rod.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Does the greys streamflex also feel tip heavy?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast