Thread: First Carp outing

Default First Carp outing

My nephew told me about the last few times he went fishing. Mentioned another dam that nobody fished on as it was difficult to get to. He also was told it had some nice carp in it so I figured I would give it a go.

The weather was very warm today, very little breeze to disturb the surface and that played perfectly into my day. I eventually got to the water, found a nice shady section and sat back in the long grass watching the water. I noticed a bit of subsurface activity after spotting bubbles on the surface. With this, there were also a few fish surface feeding.

Decided to try a dry fly as the water was very dirty and until the bubbles appeared I couldnt spot the fish. Tied on a small hopper that matched the muck coming to the surface, gave it very little floatant so it sat just breaking the surface.

Took me nearly 2 hours but I eventually managed to get the hookup right. Very much like Sterkies Yellows in that you dont strike, keep a nice tension and thats when I got it.

Only got 3, managed pics of my last 2 as the first came off as it hit the bank.

Well done...

Blog Entries

Nice job! Well done!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Blog Entries

Your post reminds me of my try the weekend before last. I fished a small farm dam for Carp. They were surface feeding like mad and also had a hopper tied on, eventually had one nudge the hopper before returning to the safety of the muddy depths. I had no intrest on any dries for the rest of the afternoon nor any intrest in sub surface presentations.

Good to hear that you had success with a hopper and I wasn't to far off the right track.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Blog Entries

Well done...
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com