Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beads and/or flash for trout - attraction or distraction?

Default Beads and/or flash for trout - attraction or distraction?

I read a post from a guide at the Oxbow lakes who swears the trout are "put off" or rejecting flies with beads and/or flash.He says he has guided there for 10 yrs and doesnt tie with either.In my 25 yrs fly fishing i havnt had this experience but id like others opinions on this subject.I cant say i have seen a rejection because my fishing is generally not visual in the lakes i fish.Maybe im not getting enough fish!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    I read a post from a guide at the Oxbow lakes who swears the trout are "put off" or rejecting flies with beads and/or flash.He says he has guided there for 10 yrs and doesnt tie with either.In my 25 yrs fly fishing i havnt had this experience but id like others opinions on this subject.I cant say i have seen a rejection because my fishing is generally not visual in the lakes i fish.Maybe im not getting enough fish!
    I have had fish in very low water spook at a lot of flash in the fly. Same fly in higher water never caused any spooking that I could see.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario,do the advantages of beads/flash outweigh the disadvantages?

I've started using less beads in my stillwater trout flies, and the catch rate is definitely up. There is a specific little bugger that I use frequently, which has been very productive for me. I always tied it with a brass or tungsten bead, but recently tied some unweighted versions, instead preferring to use the line to get them down. They have been a lot more effective than before. So much so that I tied up a batch of 10 unweighted versions last night, for an upcoming trip.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Mario,do the advantages of beads/flash outweigh the disadvantages?
    Can't say to be honest. I try to have some options in my box, but mostly have beaded and UV flashy flies. Has not been unkind to me thus far. Then again, I fish pretty easy waters. Getting to a large NZ brown might leave me scratching my head (and flybox).
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Remember, fish get use to a certain color/pattern/action especially in catch and release water.
    So, if a flash, everytime you bite at it, gets you pulled all over the place, you will learn to avoid it.
    The same applies to a bead, a specific pattern, action.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

How,they have a memory of less than 10s? Boulder in die rivier.....
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    How,they have a memory of less than 10s? Boulder in die rivier.....
    Gerrit, that myth has been busted long time ago ;-) If fish have a memory of less than 10s then how come they thrash the water at trout farms in anticipation of being fed? How do they remember that the dude in the overall with a bucket is going to throw in some yummy pellets?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Very interesting article on fish memory - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...er-months.html
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Gerrit, that myth has been busted long time ago ;-) If fish have a memory of less than 10s then how come they thrash the water at trout farms in anticipation of being fed? How do they remember that the dude in the overall with a bucket is going to throw in some yummy pellets?
    Yes I know D I was tossing a boulder in Korrie's river that's all hehehe!!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast