Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The GISS, KISS and WTFIT principles when nymphing or dry fly or any other fly fishing

Default The GISS, KISS and WTFIT principles when nymphing or dry fly or any other fly fishing

This thread relates to the other thread about nymphs.
    When selecting a nymph/fly to fish, I am of the opinion the following principles should apply.
    a. GISS: Airforce pilots were the first to employ this principle and birders use it as well. General Impression, Shape and Size.
    a nymph/fly should have a GISS, of the basic food in the system, for a fish to look/think of it as food.

b. KISS
    Keep it Stupid and Simple
    When tying a nymph/fly, it should be for 90% plus of the nymphs, a KISS principle. All the factors of movement, flash, trapped airbubbles color etc, is not as important as what some want us to believe. On selective fish or in very specific instances, Yes, it is important, but for most, not as important as we think. So your nymph/fly should have the KISS

c. WTFIT
    In some instances, we put a strange fly on the end of the line, or a weird color etc and it catches a fish.
    WHY? Here the WTFIT priniciple comes into play.
    It is one of those where the fish thinks " What The Farck Is This? Food? Not too sure but lets try it"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Interesting how we always look for new material and colours driven by the market to produce that new easier faster better looking flies.
    And I am sure 50 years back it was the same, but your concepts above would still be valid and you would find that all the traditional flies from way back will still do the magic today as they meet certain criteria that the fish are looking for.
    Today we have so much information and many tools to match the hatch or dis-match it.
    So yes I think we sometimes over complicate things. Some experience fly-fisher once looked into my fly-box and comment: That I should make my flybox less complicated and keep it simple and basic as there are to many flies to select from.
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Glans View Post
    Interesting how we always look for new material and colours driven by the market to produce that new easier faster better looking flies.
    And I am sure 50 years back it was the same, but your concepts above would still be valid and you would find that all the traditional flies from way back will still do the magic today as they meet certain criteria that the fish are looking for.
    Today we have so much information and many tools to match the hatch or dis-match it.
    So yes I think we sometimes over complicate things. Some experience fly-fisher once looked into my fly-box and comment: That I should make my flybox less complicated and keep it simple and basic as there are to many flies to select from.
    Pascal Cognard said, he will rather have the same fly in 5 weights than 5 different flies.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Pascal Cognard said, he will rather have the same fly in 5 weights than 5 different flies.
    I agree 100% with that sentiment.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

What was funny however is that Pascal (like most other fishermen) had boxes and boxes of hundreds of different fly patterns :-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Why's that funny? as you say like most other fishermen. Therefore its normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    What was funny however is that Pascal (like most other fishermen) had boxes and boxes of hundreds of different fly patterns :-)
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Who is Pascal Cognard?

Dis 'n ou wat brandy maak.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Lyk my hy maak die goed en Korrie suip die goed?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Why's that funny? as you say like most other fishermen. Therefore its normal.
    What is funny about it is that while Pascal claims (according to Korrie) he would rather have the same pattern in 5 different weights (implies that presentation and weight are more important than actual pattern), his fly boxes were filled with hundreds of different patterns. While most of us carry lots of patterns around with us, we probably only use a fraction of them. Still its good to know that when the fish key on a #14 tan caddis with olive wings and a bright red hotspot, that you have one in your box ;-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast