Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vaal Day Trip?

Default Vaal Day Trip?

Ill be in JHB in the 20th of July for a concert and was wondering how easy it would be to head for the vaal for a day trip. Also if it would be a good time to target the yellow. It would be my first trip up there so some directions would be good, any places to try and what permits or costs would be involved. I really apreciate any info you guys have to share!!

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Ill be in JHB in the 20th of July for a concert and was wondering how easy it would be to head for the vaal for a day trip. Also if it would be a good time to target the yellow. It would be my first trip up there so some directions would be good, any places to try and what permits or costs would be involved. I really apreciate any info you guys have to share!!
    20th July, hmmmm, mid winter. I don't know if it would be wise going after yellows for the first time then.
    However there are plenty of Vaal venues within an hours drive of Jo'burg.
    Are you planning to fish the Friday or the Saterday?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

We would try get up there on the sunday. I know its not the best time to be going, but i would shoot myself if i went all the way there without giving it a try... is it really not worth it?!?!

We would try get up there on the sunday. I know its not the best time to be going, but i would shoot myself if i went all the way there without giving it a try... is it really not worth it?!?!
    There are quite a few places you can try, and you can hire a boat (inflatable Ark) too. The best place would be Elgro River Lodge near Potchefstroom. (About 1 to 1.5 hours drive from JHB). I don't have their number on me right now though. But you definitely have a great chance of hooking one or two very decent fish!
    The reason I suggest Elgro is you don't have to paddle far...just target the area right in front of the lodge...very good water.

Very nice place, nice setting, and you can get an Ark there...there is a deep pool right in front of the lodge which holds largemouth and big smallmouth yellows. Floating line, long leader, weighted flies like MSP's, Woolly Buggers with bead heads (sizes 4 and bigger I suggest), Papa Roaches, etc will work. If nothing seems to work, tie a smaller nymph like a PTN, zak, small woolly bugger, etc to the bend of the bigger fly and fish them in tandem.
    Watch for a take on the drop...

Fish next to reeds, rocky outcrops, weeds etc, and in channels. Late afternoon (if you're still brave to be there) there MAY be a bit of a rise...but more the exception than the rule. Try 'n dry and dropper, you never know.

You may hook a nice 2kg or 3kg plus largemouth...would be excellent. take your waders, warm clothing, etc. Rods...you can get away with a 5wt, but I'd recommend a 7wt, or 8wt. No need for intermediate or sinking lines.
    Last edited by Michael; 04-06-07 at 11:19 AM.

Awesome! I watched a Wildfly program on Elgro lodge! If you could get a phone number for me that wouldbe awesome!!
    Just a few things: Is it nessecary to use the boat, is it not waidable?? Also, ill have 2 non fisherman with me, is is a flyfishing area only or could they use bait sticks. Oh and will i need permits or anything of the sort?

Regards,

Matt

0182911333 The Lodge. Hotel is on the web.

Remember to put on a shirt actually 2nd skin-shirt-fleece-windproof ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Remember to put on a shirt actually 2nd skin-shirt-fleece-windproof ;-)
    If it is Carebear/Winnie the Pooh yellow aka Vrystaat Vlate Cammo colour then you're almost guaranteed a fish.

Awesome! I watched a Wildfly program on Elgro lodge! If you could get a phone number for me that wouldbe awesome!!
    Just a few things: Is it nessecary to use the boat, is it not waidable?? Also, ill have 2 non fisherman with me, is is a flyfishing area only or could they use bait sticks. Oh and will i need permits or anything of the sort?

Regards,

Matt
    No permits needed.

You CAN wade...but then put the waders on, and thermal undergarments. The water's cold! You need an ark, to get into the good area's of that pool. It makes a big difference...if you wade to that pool, and stand where it drops off...you can't cast to the best area's of the pool.

I dunno about bait-fishing there...I've never seen any bait fishermen there, nor ever asked about it. When you call them (try speak to Dawie, the lodge manager) ask them about that.

Thank all!! Will definitly give him a call!!

It's Fly fishing only. Kobus doesn't take kindly to the infidels/heavens!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast