Thread: Vaal River

Default Vaal River

I see the flow of the Vaal is normalizing. I am pretty much a n00b to yellow fish on fly. (I have caught Natal Yellows spinning, and trout on fly.) From what I have read here, and heard from others, the Vaal have been flowing too high last month to be really good for fishing. A friend of mine said you ideally want flows of 15 or less. He also mentioned water temperature should ideally be above 20 C. I see it is around 19 C at the moment.

What it looks like to me, is that the coming two or three weeks will be the last bit of good conditions available on the Vaal before winter sets in? Is this correct? Or is the water already too cold? I am contemplating an outing this weekend. Could anyone please tell me if this would be a good plan? And if so, recommend a venue and possibly tactics?

Thanks
    Last edited by Vicus; 14-04-14 at 09:20 AM.

The dependency on conditions goes so much further than simply water temp and flow rate. You can catch yellowfish in water higher than 15cumecs, and 20 degrees, and different water conditions are going to require different tactics. There is a lot of information on the forum, so it would help you to try and wade through it.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The dependency on conditions goes so much further than simply water temp and flow rate. You can catch yellowfish in water higher than 15cumecs, and 20 degrees, and different water conditions are going to require different tactics. There is a lot of information on the forum, so it would help you to try and wade through it.
    I have read through quite a few posts. A lot of stuff to wade through(chat chat) to get to the things that matter. Anyone feel lake suggesting some threads ?

I think you will still get fish at those temps and flow,it all depends on weather i.t.o barometer fluctuations,rain etc.My observations are the yellows,especially during this change over period in weather,are way more affected by change to their habitat.They like consistantcy and any factors influencing them could put them off the bite,or even get them to move into different water structures or positions.They are far more habitual than most people think.And like anything with a habit,if it is interfered with does change attitude,a lot

Yes, defiantly still fine to fish. Fishing is comfortable most places between 15-40cumecs.

You will still get fish at all of the venues between the barrage & parys at current temps, they might just have dropped back into the slightly deeper glides.

Also (i find at least) that the fish sometimes feed higher in the water column this time of year. I would check nymph the deeper glides with a three fly rig.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    Yes, defiantly still fine to fish. Fishing is comfortable most places between 15-40cumecs.

You will still get fish at all of the venues between the barrage & parys at current temps, they might just have dropped back into the slightly deeper glides.

Also (i find at least) that the fish sometimes feed higher in the water column this time of year. I would check nymph the deeper glides with a three fly rig.
    Thanks. I was considering Yellowfish Paradise.

you should pm herman, YFP is his "home water", he will probably have some specific advice for you.

Thanks, but which herman? There are quite a few.

Herman Jooste

Vicus, PM replied to.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659