View Poll Results: FAVORITE FLY MAGAZINE!

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • AFRICA"S ORIGINAL FLYFISHING

8 50.00%
  • THE COMPLETE FLYFISHER

6 37.50%
  • OTHER?????

4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Favourite fly magazine? Share it with flytalk!!

Thumbs up Favourite fly magazine? Share it with flytalk!!

This is a vote for the best fly fishing magazineF in South Africa and you fellow FLYTALK FLY FISHERS should decide what your favorite magazine is.

I have to say,complete is far more glossy,has some very good field editors,but their contents is boring,the same old tiger here,seychelles there etc etc.There are so many aspects of flyfishing magazines can cover yet they almost always cover destinations only.Now i see lately they are having gear reviews etc,thats the stuff i would like to see.More on how certain leaders are constructed,reel reviews,more rod reviews etc etc.
    Even if we dont agree with all their reviews it still creates a chat amost us regarding results etc.mags better start moving the goalposts a bit else its all gonna get old.
    Africas original has the most local content,places i have the money to actually visit and for that reason it will get my vote.

3. Default

Paper magazine or E?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I subscribe electronically to both. While the standard of photography and writing is usually better in TCFF I agree with John that it can get repetitive once you have read it for a couple of years. In TCFF I enjoy Andrew Levy's writing and usually read that first. I also really enjoy Marcus Jansen's articles as they always tell a story and are well written. Having said that, it is difficult to please everyone with different skill levels and requirements from a mag. What I like about Flyfishing magazine is that they give anyone a chance to tell their stories. Writing something interesting and original is damn hard work, never mind the photography!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I like the fact that the Fly Fishing magazine entertain's some 'quirkiness' from time to time (like you Darryl ). I use to subscribe to TCFF, but stopped out of boredom. It's too formulaic and repetitive.

None of the above.
    Gerrit Viljoen

I enjoy reading both the South African Fly Fishing magazines, but I have to say that my favorites have to be the UK Total FlyFisher and US American Angler.

Did AOF gloss up a little lately (last issue)? I thought it seemed a little more up-class than usual. I don't buy either one very often, but I actually enjoyed the current issue of AOF. I've never REALLY enjoyed reading CFF, although it seems to be the one I end up buying when the urge hits to get something new for the toilet cubicle.

AOF are also gonna have a new questions and answers section in the mag.This I think is nice to make it a bit more interactive with readers and the questions are answered by knowledgeable guys in the field.

I enjoy both mags when i buy them (but only buy when something on the cover looks interesting to me).

Flyfishing & Flytying however I get every month ...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com