Thread: Groot Brakrivier area

Default Groot Brakrivier area

Hi guys

I am going to the Groot Brakrivier area this coming weekend for a friend's funeral, ag I mean wedding. I've always wanted to fish the estuaries in this area for leeries on light FF tackle. Now unfortunately I will probably just have one day's fishing available as the misses is also coming with and I have to be back in Secunda on Monday. Can someone perhaps give me some advice/tips on where to focus my efforts for leeries and maybe fly selection?

Thanks in advance.

Im a complete noob with saltwater fishing but caught some leeries at stilbaai on flippers/gurglers. The ones that worked best had a foam part thats white and body and tail thats red or pink.

Thanks, will also try some standars smalish clousers.

Hi Karoo, sorry I only saw this now, I presume your weekend is over already. Best bet will be to fish Klein Brak. Spend most of your time between the two bridges, maybe a bit upstream from as well.

Flies: I like to use anything chartreuse over white, the Leeries dont seem to worry what fly. For me it is more impotant to look and search for the action ie. mullet jumping out of water near the drop-off / side. Poppers and flippers also great. Remember to speed up retrieve when fish turns on the fly.

Thanks for the reply booger rose. Ja I'm still on my way back, will probably only arrive back home at 1a.m.
    I've been struggling with arthritus for a couple of months in my arm joints. Unfortunately it was so bad on friday I couldn't hold the rod. Even tried casting left.
    I'll defenitely have to plan a trip there, maybe take a small boat with. Think it can be serious fun on light tackle.

Thanks for the reply once again. Will post pics once I've caught one!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk