Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Where is the correct balance point on a fly rod?

  1. #1

    Default Where is the correct balance point on a fly rod?

    Hi guys
    When i have a reel (including line & backing) on a particular rod,where should the balance point be with a finger?Is there a "correct" place?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Richards Bay, Kwazulu Natal
    Posts
    472
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Interesting question, I hope more knowledgeable gents join in but I like my setup balanced on the center of the area my hand holds on the grip during a cast.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    KZN North Coast
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    IMO the whole thing about balance point is a worthless exercise, because a rod is not used as a static object. Casting is a dynamic activity and will constantly change the swing-point of a rod, depending on a number of factors (how much line you have out, how much inertia the line has (line weight & cast speed), wind, etc.).

    The only way to actually find out if a particular setup is 'balanced' for your use, is to cast it
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Richards Bay, Kwazulu Natal
    Posts
    472
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    IMO the whole thing about balance point is a worthless exercise, because a rod is not used as a static object. Casting is a dynamic activity and will constantly change the swing-point of a rod, depending on a number of factors (how much line you have out, how much inertia the line has (line weight & cast speed), wind, etc.).

    The only way to actually find out if a particular setup is 'balanced' for your use, is to cast it
    I agree to an extent but to say that looking at the balance point is worthless is maybe too far. I don't care much for the balance of the setup in a cast as you said it’s a dynamic activity, but trying to hold a tip heavy rod in your hand whilst you nymph the whole day is another story.

    The less you strain yourself whilst fishing the more you can enjoy the experience and focus on fishing.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    KZN North Coast
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I agree to an extent but to say that looking at the balance point is worthless is maybe too far. I don't care much for the balance of the setup in a cast as you said it’s a dynamic activity, but trying to hold a tip heavy rod in your hand whilst you nymph the whole day is another story.

    The less you strain yourself whilst fishing the more you can enjoy the experience and focus on fishing.
    Sure, but trying to find the exact balance point is futile. Your balance test should include however much line you typically nymph with, if the intended purpose is nymphing. But I think holding a rod and reel, with the eyes loaded with line, will give you general idea of if the setup is tip or butt heavy.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    :Puzzled!!!! TIP HEAVY rod.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Richards Bay, Kwazulu Natal
    Posts
    472
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hahaha. I only find that I have problems with heavy tips when its a slow action, as the action goes up so does the tip

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    If you rig up the rod with the reel and run line and a few extra metres through the guides, the correct balance point should be under your index to middle finger. If the balance point is in front of the grip, you are going to get tired holding the rod tip up south your forearm muscles when nymphing. If balance point is being your hand, then you are swinging unnecessary weight.

    Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact using Tapatalk.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

  9. #9

    Default

    Where must your middle/index finger be on the rod?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Where must your middle/index finger be on the rod?
    Depends on what grip you use (thumb or forefinger on top - most do thumb) and where on the handle you place your hand (generally in the middle. but some hold top/bottom of grip - depending upon angler and grip design).
    So where YOU have your middle/index finger is where it should balance (or close to that point, with my preferance for bias being towards the reel, not towards the rod tip)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •