Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A knot for attaching poly yarn to your leader?

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Since I started using the NZ Indicator tube tool thingy I have not looked at indicator knots again. Must be said, when I ran out of little tubes on the water, being able to fall back on the open loop was a blessing. Iow, always good to know some sort of knot.

Will try that half-hitch indicator knot too - looks too easy and quick to ignore.
    Mario,

I bought one of the NZ indicator tools a couple of years ago, used it once or twice and then never bothered with it again. Just something else to carry around. I also find that with very small indicators, the plastic tubing adds unecessary weight and additional plop to the indicator. When I do use an indicator (instead of a dry fly), I use the half-hitch knot which is very quick to put on and take off. I recorded a quick clip showing this.

“Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

thanks darryl,u just saved me money...great video

Jip,thats the best one.There is another variation but not as quick as this.Dont know what they call it but Turner Wilkenson showed me once

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Mario,

I bought one of the NZ indicator tools a couple of years ago, used it once or twice and then never bothered with it again. Just something else to carry around. I also find that with very small indicators, the plastic tubing adds unecessary weight and additional plop to the indicator. When I do use an indicator (instead of a dry fly), I use the half-hitch knot which is very quick to put on and take off. I recorded a quick clip showing this.

That's a great knot and the same one I use when fishing with a yarn indicator. For anyone who has never tried it before, make sure the knot seats on the indicator and not the line itself. I find if you don't set the know correctly you create a kink in your line!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    who in sa stocks the nz strike indicator tool kit?
    Frontier i believe

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Mario,

Awfully thick leader you're using there Daryl.....

I've used that NZ Strike Indicator thingy with some success ( I say some because my nymphing skills are somewhat lacking to put it lightly, and usually a last resort... )
    Some draw back's I've found, especially in cold conditions, or when using heavy nymphs, and when fishing deep. i.e., long drop, is that its tough to get a large enough section of the Poly yarn to actually slip into the tubing... the cold makes the tubing hard and less supple/stretchy, and along with the thicker leader further up, and large amount of yarn needed for heavy nymphs it can be tough to get it to go through... I now have a couple of "stretched" sections which I keep for this purpose...

As Daryl also mentions, it does create a little extra "plop factor" to your set up, but when conditions are such that this is an issue, I have usually cut the tubing sections in half, and scaled down on the yarn...
    But in seeing how simple that knot of yours is Daryl, I'll definitely make use of that instead...

Thanks chaps.
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

is poly yarn the same as the egg yarn stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    is poly yarn the same as the egg yarn stuff?
    No. Polypropylene yarn is slicker and absorbs less water than egg yarn.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact using Tapatalk.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Why not just use dental elastic bands?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12