Thread: Speaking of knots ...

Default Speaking of knots ...

One of the things that interests me when fishing with other anglers is how long it takes them to change flies. If it takes you 5 minutes to change flies then chances are you won't bother when a fly change is needed, you will simply continue fishing what you have on. Gary (GGY) introduced this knot on the forum some years ago and I must say it has changed the way I fish. The knot was invented by Davy Wotton, is ideal for small flies and thin tippet and if tied correctly tests to nearly 100%. Once you have the tippet through the eye of the hook, it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds to tie the knot. I am not saying that this is the best or strongest knot, simply something for you to try if you are still using a clinch or improved clinch and it takes you several minutes to tie it. I am left-handed which might make it a bit tricky to copy what I am doing, if so then please google and find a right-hand example. It is very important to learn the correct mnemonic for the knot, that way with a bit of practice you will tie it very quickly. In fact once you have the tippet through the eye of the hook, you can tie the rest of the knot in the dark.

Last edited by dlampert; 09-05-14 at 04:58 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Very cool Im gonna try it thanks!

I also use the Davy knot find it great But important to seat it well

4. Default

Is that the quick penny?? The video won't load for me now, yay GPRS :-/
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Darryl, I saw a post on an American site that took the Davie knot one step further and called it the improved Davie knot or the double Davie. I can honestly say I have no more issues with slippage etc now that I use the new version.

The only difference it that you add one more turn through the loop once you have completed the original knot... I dont know if that makes sense but check the link:

http://mattsbucket.blogspot.com/2011...davy-knot.html
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 14-05-14 at 11:48 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Thanks Maddy, I haven't had an issue with the normal Davy but will give this a try.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Cool, let me know how it goes!

Easiest way to check is to get two hooks (same size) and tie a single piece of mono between them. One side tie a single davie and the other the double davie. Pull apart and see which one breaks first.

Id be interested to know every ones test results.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

My problem is usually getting the tippet through the eye. Especially 7 or 8 x, which is normally my tippet of choice. Thicker diameters are much easier for me. Once I have it through the eye, its very quick. Perhaps with my new tri focal mult, sunglasses, it might help, but generally this is where I have struggled.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Cool, let me know how it goes!

Easiest way to check is to get two hooks (same size) and tie a single piece of mono between them. One side tie a single davie and the other the double davie. Pull apart and see which one breaks first.

Id be interested to know every ones test results.
    On my tests the Penny Knot wins every time, also one of the knots that is easy to tie. Love the reassuring "click" at the end, when tying the Penny knot.

http://paracaddis.wordpress.com/tag/the-penny-knot/