Thread: Patchy Crafty Crab

Thumbs up Patchy Crafty Crab

Here is my peeler Crab imitation that I've perfected over the years.

Once you've used up all the craft fur from the patch/hide/cape to tie baitfish patterns you normally would chuck it away right? Well, I identified a need for that wasted patch.

Recipe

Hook: Gamakatsu B10s #4
    Thread: UTC Orange 70 denier
    Weight: 4mm I-balz
    Legs: Micro chenille color of choice. The ends are burnt using a cautery. If you want 90 degree legs burn them in the middle not really needed as the current will move them around anyways. Peeler legs are soft and hence the choice in material but also it imitates underdeveloped legs brilliantly.
    Body: Craft fur patch cut to shape, inserted via the hook point, glued using Liquid fusion (cheat version ) or Wonda fix (the long and correct version) then folded. (Sandwiched like if you will)
    Weed guard: Optional / 57lb mono

* The fly rides upside down
    * If I had to be really critical about my fly it would be about the size I tend to sometimes overcook on the size, remember peelers are small, thumb size.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 15-05-14 at 11:09 AM.

Ek hou van jou krap
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Shoooweee, those look good... nice Largie...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanx guys.

Just a further note on the legs I've tried them all trust me rubber legs, rubber band legs, synthetic leather,etc the best by far was and is, chenille! Barbel can and will chow off the legs which isn't necessarily a bad thing (injured crab) but I don't like that very much
    I like flies holding their own... :biggrin:
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 15-05-14 at 10:02 AM.

If you want pincers, take two pieces of chenille, singe the edges, and the glue them side by side with the singed edges not glued but left apart to make a nice pincer.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Cool idea thanx.

That is IF you want to add to this guy. Which I don't think you need to do. Dis mos hoe 'n krap moet lyk - baie mooi!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Here are 6 lighter versions with Wondafix, the long and correct version. Hoeke sommer klaar skerp gemaak! The top 6 are darker in color but with liquid fusion, the cheat version....

22.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 16-05-14 at 11:24 AM.