Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nymph Fishing Still Waters

Default Nymph Fishing Still Waters

Hi Guys, I'm on my way to Dullstroom in about two weeks and I have never fished nymphs in still waters. Can someone please assit with an idiots guide please?

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...3-The-Retrieve
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...mphing-tactics
    Stop being so lazy, search a bit thru the threads, there are TONS OF INFO.
    a 30 second search yielded above threads, and there are many many more
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie

I have gone through most of the three pages after searching stillwater nymping. I just thought there might be someone with some insight into Dullstroom at this point in time specifically. I should have put the question better.

Fishing stillwaters is not just a matter of chucking a nymph.
    Somewhere on the forum is a piece off about 4 pages dedicated to Stillwaters, techniques and approaches depths etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Ok Cool

Thanks Korrie. Feel like a complete noob. I've always fished dries and streamers. I think I might have mised out on some proper fishing. Time to practoooshh

Monster, dont worry, you will get there!

As Korrie mentioned, he created a very nice series of articles with regard to nymphing. (think it is the second link he gave above)

Read through it, if you cant figure it out from that, I think best is to book yourself on some workshop with Korrie or someone else.

some more stillwater threads
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ht=stillwaters

The thread that FlyFanatic is refering to, I cannot find.
    It is about fishing still waters, Find the fish, find the depth, find the fly, find the retrieve. (anybody knows the thread's title?)

Fishing still waters is not just about tying on a specific nymph.
    there is a lot of thinking and analyzing the water etc
    it is more complicated than fishing rivers and streams
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    some more stillwater threads
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ht=stillwaters

The thread that FlyFanatic is refering to, I cannot find.
    It is about fishing still waters, Find the fish, find the depth, find the fly, find the retrieve. (anybody knows the thread's title?)

Fishing still waters is not just about tying on a specific nymph.
    there is a lot of thinking and analyzing the water etc
    it is more complicated than fishing rivers and streams
    Hi Korrie, flyfanatic is right it is the second thread you posted. Are you still working on a book. If so i would love a signed copy

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Hi Korrie, flyfanatic is right it is the second thread you posted. Are you still working on a book. If so i would love a signed copy
    Yip that is the one.
    Sorry, I did not read the thread, did a "search" only and copy and pasted the threads.

Yes, the book is coming along very well.
    The problem with writing a book is you do it about 10 times. (SHAKES HEAD)
    you write it, then you when you are about 10 pages further you realize, you are talking about something, that you should have discussed earlier.
    Then you re-write a section, and you think it is right, a couple of nights you think, it will work better in another chapter, so you move it to another chapter.
    You then re-read your original chapter and you realize it is not making so much sense, with the piece out, so you re-write it again.
    When you think it is done, and you read thru it, you have another "Eureka" moment and think, I should add this as well.
    And so it goes on and on and on.
    But eventually I will have it printed and will post you a signed copy. Thanks for the interest. I appreciate it.
    Korrie Broos

I know exactly what you mean. My final years decertation was much the same. write, read, re-write, check, re-write, get test results, re-write.... and repeat. A book is much larger so good luck and I'm looking forward.

The nymph fishing carries the same tactics. Find 90% of the fish in 10% of the water. Find out how deep they are, tie on a fly that mimics what is in the water, chuck the fly and retrieve in a manner in which they would expect that insect to be moving. By the time this is done. The Fish have moved so repeat......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast