Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stillwater streamers

1. Default Stillwater streamers

I'll be tying up a few streamer flies for the upcoming winter. There are 3 trophy stillwaters (meaning "wild" fish of 10lbs and above) quite close to me, and after neglecting them for far too long, I plan a trip to each of these 3 venues during the early and late winter.

So I'm going through the Streamers SBS threads (http://flytalk.co.za/forum/forumdisp...p?63-Streamers) for some tips on what people generally throw to these stillwater brutes. Feel free to share any patterns that have worked for you, will be interesting to see and hear what has worked well for you.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Hi Mario!

I will take some photos of my stillwater box tonight and post them. Its the same box I used at Highland lodge last year with good success.

Cheers

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

3. Default

Thanks Jado - appreciate it highly man. My tying sucks so bad these days, so streamers may be a good way to get back into things (big ugly flies with no finesse required )!!! Thanks again man!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Dont worry they are mostly zonker strips!

Will post a bit later with some patterns, in the meantime here is a video of the trip.

Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Mario, remember to leave the 000 at home
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Mario, remember to leave the 000 at home
    I usually stick the #000 inside the #5 to stiffen it up a bit when throwing larger and heavier flies

I also have to invest in a intermediate line - shocked at some of the line prices - have not bought a line in the past 3 years.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Mario bind vir jou klomp Muddler Minnows met Orange sterte.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Default Stillwater streamers

I did that with an 8WT and a 10WT hoping to end up with an 18WT. Thus far the results have been a little disappointing 😝

I find it a bitter pill to start talking about lines at +R800 per line for the ones I need/want.

I hope you post some pictures of the streamers you end up tying!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I usually stick the #000 inside the #5 to stiffen it up a bit when throwing larger and heavier flies

I also have to invest in a intermediate line - shocked at some of the line prices - have not bought a line in the past 3 years.
    Yup it is scary how much it has gone up in the last few years, the premium lines are selling for around R1000 these days!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I'll be tying up a few streamer flies for the upcoming winter. There are 3 trophy stillwaters (meaning "wild" fish of 10lbs and above) quite close to me, and after neglecting them for far too long, I plan a trip to each of these 3 venues during the early and late winter.

So I'm going through the Streamers SBS threads (http://flytalk.co.za/forum/forumdisp...p?63-Streamers) for some tips on what people generally throw to these stillwater brutes. Feel free to share any patterns that have worked for you, will be interesting to see and hear what has worked well for you.
    In your part of the world a BFG9000 would be my go to fly Black over olive.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast