Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: World Fly fishing Championships 2014

Surely competitive flyfishing needs to be taken with a pinch of salt... in other words the team/individual that "wins" on the day is not necessarily the "best" angler/team in the world, but rather, on the day, they performed the best, and were fortunate enough to be on the piece of water that delivered the best conditions and best number of fish...

Of course there is huge amounts of skill involved ( far exceeding my own, and most other anglers ) so I am not disputing these guys and girls are the top anglers in their fields... that could be said of all of them... on the day, its almost luck of the draw as to who wins right?

I think we should all look at the Championships as an amazing opportunity for groups of the best fly anglers rom round the world to get together, fish some great waters, share tactics/techniques/flies/beers/wine and good times, and acknowledge that this is what its actually all about, and that is amazing... what a great thing to be a part of... the actual "World Champion" moniker that is awarded to a team or individual at the end of the day is a nice thing to have, but surely not to be taken as gospel....

Now that I have thoroughly pissed off every single serious competitive fly angler, I will crawl back into the cavern from whence I came...

But before I do, best wishes to MC, Philip, GGY, Maddy, Chris and Dan... clap it.. hope you okes have a great event, have some fun, catch some fish, and meet some great people...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    They still have to be caught by the angler, regardless how they migrate and how many there are.
    Stockies are generally not that hard to catch, especially at the level these guys are. An angler drawing a beat with a good number of stockies WILL clean up, period.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

a new low for competitive angling ...

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    A lot of the rivers are well stocked. According to MC, the one practice day last week they were busy stocking the river while they were fishing it. Personally, I would rather be fishing for wild fish ...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

how the Czech stock their rivers.
    A lot of the management comes from the Communist days. When the population were encouraged to farm and fish, as a supplement to their buying food.
    The system is well managed. Normal fish can only be taken for consumption at 20cm.
    They catch wild fish in the tribs, milk the hens, fertilize the eggs and grow the fish to about fingerling size.
    This is then stocked in the big rivers.
    The survival rate is much better and you have the genes of the wild fish.
    In some areas they stock fish at 18cm so that they can "grow" on, in the wild.
    Matt (Umhlangarox) that is pretty much as certain dams are stocked. No different.
    They determine the biomass that the river can sustain and stock according to that.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    There are many issues with Competitive Fly Fishing, but this for me is just plain crazy, it should be called the "World Stocky Catching Championships 2014"
    Matt, I know you are a keen soccer supporter, how much crap is there in soccer?
    Players diving, handball, etc etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    a new low for competitive angling ...
    They were stocking the general practice waters, nothing wrong with that.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Stockies are generally not that hard to catch, especially at the level these guys are. An angler drawing a beat with a good number of stockies WILL clean up, period.
    I dont think so, stockies, after being hooked a couple of times can become very very hook/fly shy.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Matt, I know you are a keen soccer supporter, how much crap is there in soccer?
    Players diving, handball, etc etc
    Korrie with all due respect you can't compare it with Soccer!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Surely competitive flyfishing needs to be taken with a pinch of salt... in other words the team/individual that "wins" on the day is not necessarily the "best" angler/team in the world, but rather, on the day, they performed the best, and were fortunate enough to be on the piece of water that delivered the best conditions and best number of fish...

Of course there is huge amounts of skill involved ( far exceeding my own, and most other anglers ) so I am not disputing these guys and girls are the top anglers in their fields... that could be said of all of them... on the day, its almost luck of the draw as to who wins right?

I think we should all look at the Championships as an amazing opportunity for groups of the best fly anglers rom round the world to get together, fish some great waters, share tactics/techniques/flies/beers/wine and good times, and acknowledge that this is what its actually all about, and that is amazing... what a great thing to be a part of... the actual "World Champion" moniker that is awarded to a team or individual at the end of the day is a nice thing to have, but surely not to be taken as gospel....

Now that I have thoroughly pissed off every single serious competitive fly angler, I will crawl back into the cavern from whence I came...

But before I do, best wishes to MC, Philip, GGY, Maddy, Chris and Dan... clap it.. hope you okes have a great event, have some fun, catch some fish, and meet some great people...
    Hi Nepps
    yes there is luck involved
    a, drawing the "right beat"
    b. maybe a hatch on your beat, not happening on the other beats (happened in a session or 2 over the years and a not so skilled angler wins the session, but that is fishing, and you still have to have the right fly and catch the fish)
    c. strange how it is always the same teams, that are in the top 4 or 5 spots, and the same anglers in the top 10 or 20 spots. LUCK? I dont think so.
    d. sometimes a good angler will draw a couple of "bad beats" but that is the luck of the draw. and the competitors "live" with it. The same can happen with a couple of mates going to fish, and you get the bad piece of water.
    e. the moniker of "world champion" is normally accepted as the WORLD CHAMPION. here and there luck plays a roll, but normally considered the best. Remember it is fished by 5 guys over 5 sessions (25 sessions) x 3 hours = 75 hours in total. it gives you a very true reflection of the abilities, as the beats are rotated so a country's fishermen, will not fish the same beat as team member etc.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Korrie with all due respect you can't compare it with Soccer!
    Really??????
    I dont watch a lot of soccer, but if I see how guys dive, fall, play handball, feign injury, playing the ref, etc etc, in the few matches I watch, I sometimes wonder where professional soccer's appeal is. Because the "Beautiful game" as described by Pele, is no where near some of the B?S, that is dished up by some off Europe's best
    Korrie Broos

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast