Thread: Gubu/maidan dam

Default Gubu/maidan dam

Hi Guys,
    We are off to Sandiles Rest for the weekend and I am packing the trouting gear for some much needed fly fishing. Is there any recent news on these venues? Sounds like good expectations for Maidan dam. I fear Gubu might be a bit big for one days fishing? Also any advice on recent successful flies for these waters?
    Looking forward to ur advice!
    Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Hi scurvy.
    How did the fishing go?

Sorry for the late reply. I fished maiden a few times in the last couple of years. And I can tell you it is hard fishing!!
    Especially from the side. The guys that had tubes went to the inlet and nymphed the channels there they got quite a few trout. From the side I found the corner of the dam wall by the parking area worked. And the most fun we had was at sunset by the parking lot there was always a mayfly hatch so that can be quite productive.

Gubu I never fished but heard rumours of some nice trout roaming those waters.

hi chumi,
    we only did one morning session on the gubu and never made it to maidan dam. fishing was a bit tough as it was new waters for me and did not know the various depths of water columns. that gubu is one massive piece of water! ended up with a decent hen of 55cm fot approx 3hrs fishing. was great fun to finally connect after scratching around for about an hour with no luck!

pic of a very skinny lady taken on my visit to gubu. she fell for a olive nymph with a red hotspot.

Attached Images Attached Images