Thread: Vlettershof report

Default Vlettershof report

Ok guys

We went to Vlettershof in Dullstroom over the weekend and the place use to belong to a buddy of mine's father but it was sold around two years ago. Three years ago the fising was bad and the house was comfortable but very rustic. My prettier half and myself drove through on Friday morning and arrived at around 11:00 and enjoyed a Pizza at the Duck and trout. The Pizza was awesome as usual!

Arriving at Vlettershof we were surprized to find the place in an amazing condition, no expence spared at the Lady who owns the place now had redone every thing. The first thing we did after our arrival and house walk through was to take a walk around the two dams. We saw fish.... lots of fish but I still had to unload the bakkie before I could tie on a fly. The off loaing happend at light speed and my 4wt was my up, loaded with a DDD.

First cast a gready little bugger snatched the fly in a splash of water but managed to spit the fly before I could react. I was still stripping line off my reel for the next cast. The next presentation was a little deaper and softer. A rainbow of around 1.2kg sucked in the fly with the finess of an angel only to fight like a witch with her broom on fire. Putting up airal displays that would make a fighter pilot proud. This was the trend for the next hour with 4 fish coming to the net.

I handed the flyrod over to my girl for a crash course on fly fising, thinking that this would atleast score a couple of brownie points. She misted the strike on the first try and determined not to miss the second se developed a death grip on the line on the second bite. The trout steamed off at a rate of knots and snapped the line with a loud bang. She handed the rod back and that was the end of fishing for her weekend.The fish dried up and started avoiding the DDD.
    The line snapping was not the reason she left the fishing to me....

My friends started arriving with their 3 month old baby and the love of babies was stronger than that of chucking fur.It seems my crap is in the mail. The ladies spend their time reading, chatting and just enjoying the venue.Anyway, the setting sun cought us and we gave our selves to good company, wiskey and steak.

The next morning 4 guys where armed with all tipes of weapon ready to start fishing. I was the lucky one and landed 3 fish. Two large enough to be smoked for breakfast and one that was sent away with strict instructions to fetch his larger brother to come and teach me a lesson. The day yielded 5 fish in total, three on a dragon patern, one on a DDD and one on a PTN. The sun set again and we enjoyed cigars with wiskey and some chops.

I was banned from fishing early sunday morning after casting a white death into an area that had been flogged more than whipped cream. Only the go on with a pretty little hen fish. Anyway the rest of the guys cought 6 on white deaths with me playing net man.

All and all an awesome weekend with great friends
    Last edited by Monster; 04-06-14 at 12:21 PM.

I saw this venue whilst looking, great report, I will be sure to give it a go soon! Are the dams big enough for float tubing?
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Jip, they have a couple of canoes as well

Do they have lifeguards? not easy flyfishing off a canoe... has a tendancy to ...ummm fall over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Jip, they have a couple of canoes as well
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Always good to hear positive feedback from a venue. Tx
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Andre trust me that water is so cold you will walk on water if that canoe tips!