Thread: Stealth bomber or Xplorer classic/guide 2 5wt rod

Default Stealth bomber or Xplorer classic/guide 2 5wt rod

Hi guys.
    I havent fly fished for a very long time and spent a weekend at Lakensvlei recently.Although I enjoyed the weekend I do feel the need to get some updated equipment. I am more a rock and surf fisherman and would like to do flyfishing during the winter to keep me busy. Looking at the above mentioned rods.Any ideas which would be the better of them?
    Will be doing mainly stillwater fishing and then would like to do some cape streams in the future.
    Any help would be appreciated.

The Stealth Bomber is a much better rod than the Explorer in my opinion. For the streams you are going to need a lighter rod, perhaps a 3wt. Its going to be difficult to find one rod that will do both the rivers in the Cape, as well as the still waters.
    Quote Originally Posted by occie View Post
    Hi guys.
    I havent fly fished for a very long time and spent a weekend at Lakensvlei recently.Although I enjoyed the weekend I do feel the need to get some updated equipment. I am more a rock and surf fisherman and would like to do flyfishing during the winter to keep me busy. Looking at the above mentioned rods.Any ideas which would be the better of them?
    Will be doing mainly stillwater fishing and then would like to do some cape streams in the future.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks for the reply. I can get a TFO TICRX for a reasonable price would you regard this as a better rod than the above. Sorry as you can see im quite a newbie when it comes to flyfishing.

Quote Originally Posted by occie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I can get a TFO TICRX for a reasonable price would you regard this as a better rod than the above. Sorry as you can see im quite a newbie when it comes to flyfishing.
    I've fished all except the bomber and hands down I love my TicrX much more. Very fast rod, awesome to cast with enough backbone to manhandle most fish.

Only down side IMO is the weight, it's very heavy so fishing it the whole day takes more out of you than the other rods.

The Bomber is significantly heavier in hand (I don't have the actual specs) than the TiCr-X. The bombers are old technology, heavy, noisy (bad selection ito guides) and though they are fast, they're not fun to fish with once you have experienced better. I wouldn't bother with the XPloder, if you're already looking at a better quality rod (viz the TiCr-X)

In my opinion the 5WT TiCr-X is the worst of the entire range, and I have them in 6WT, 7WT and 10WT.

If you can get it for say no more than half of new price (ie : R1350 or so) it wouldn't be a bad buy, but if you are new to flyfishing, want an all round great rod which is suited to beginner and more advanced casting abilities and you want some of the best new technology at less than premium price, then I'd get the 5WT TFO BVK if I were you.

You won't be sorry.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thanks guys.Scythe you almost right can get it for R1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    The Bomber is significantly heavier in hand (I don't have the actual specs) than the TiCr-X. The bombers are old technology, heavy, noisy (bad selection ito guides) and though they are fast, they're not fun to fish with once you have experienced better. I wouldn't bother with the XPloder, if you're already looking at a better quality rod (viz the TiCr-X)

In my opinion the 5WT TiCr-X is the worst of the entire range, and I have them in 6WT, 7WT and 10WT.

If you can get it for say no more than half of new price (ie : R1350 or so) it wouldn't be a bad buy, but if you are new to flyfishing, want an all round great rod which is suited to beginner and more advanced casting abilities and you want some of the best new technology at less than premium price, then I'd get the 5WT TFO BVK if I were you.

You won't be sorry.
    Howdy Scythe, why would you say the 5wt is the worst of them, any particular reason, I have a 7wt which I use for bashing brutes or casting huge flies, usually use it for bass poppers. Then I have a 9wt, which I used for tigers, now that thing is awesome, landed a 10lb one last year and the rod didn't even bend down to the cork to get it into the boat.

Haven't had a chance to fish a 5wt yet, went the exploder route for that weight class